Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
mr fixit originally posted about .30-30 cartridges found on the road that had undergone some pretty good abuse.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/reloading/143641-30-30s-found-road.html#post1751222

Since he had decided to trash the cases after removing the bullet, powder & primer, I contacted him and asked if I could have the cases to see if they would have actually been safe to shoot.

Thankfully, he agreed. When the cases arrived I could see that most of them had pretty deep indents. I decided to take the worst five and anneal them, leaving the rest as they were.

I then reprimed and reloaded them with a factory equivalent load.

Here's a pic of two of the cartridges. The left one has been annealed, the right one has not.

Thankfully, there were no case failures when the cartridges were fired. That speaks well of the quality of the FC brass those cases were made from.

Top pic by mr fixit after he dissected the cartridges
Bottom pic after firing and cleaning :biggrin:

Based on the results, if you have cases that have some dings in them toward the front of the case (IMPORTANT) and they will chamber aok and are of recent manufacture, you can be reasonable certain that they will be fine.

However, if the dents are toward the back of the case, do not chance it since any case failure at that point could leak the gas back toward the shooter.

I plan on reloading them a few more times with full power loads over the next few months and see how they stand up to the repeated firings. Based on what I have seen, I think they will be just fine.....

I will report back in a few months.......

w30wcf

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice post. I've fired a few 5.56 rounds that had been damaged. I carried this out in a safe area mind you, away from the rest of the troops.
I'm kinda on the fence with Fed brass as I've had 3 primer leaks with 308 & 280 ctgs. I'll recheck my most recent and see if the primers were same brand.
Thanks for sharing your 30-30 story.

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
I'm very impressed. I wouldn't have thought those were usable.

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
John, when I saw part one of this thread I suspected I knew why you wanted them, and it turns out I was right. Thanks for the write-up........I expected things would turn out just fine. Brass is pretty amazing stuff, especially when handled properly.

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Administrator
30,584 Posts
John, this is a most worthy test and I appreciate your testing them. Honestly, I thought the cases not safe at first. Your test demonstrated making my assumption incorrect.

That said, I'm interested to hear what you find after firing these shells more. It seems to me the ones you annealed would prove better results. So, I look forward to your results of repeated reloading.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
16,878 Posts
That is impressive, would have thought that some thing might have gave considering the damage I saw. Well done and the pleasure in helping was all mine!! Looking forward to your next report. Mr fixit

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I have done much the same thing many times with other calibers including the 30/30 brass that has been dented can be blown out sometimes it is much like the early wildcatters did so if a case is not creased ( it will usually split at this point ) if not then the case will last for more loadings if you do this you can save more cases but you also take the risk of of a really bad case failure so be very careful

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys,
Thank you for your encouraging comments.
I have reloaded the cases with a recipe that pushes a 125 gr. bullet to 2,600 f.p.s. (according to the reloading book).

Weather permitting I plan to shoot them this weekend and will report back.

w30wcf

·
Registered
126 Posts
30wcf, that is so very cool! :congrats: I'm sure I would have tossed them. I don't mind doing that with 45acp brass, but 30-30? No way. That is just awesome and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Anneal after you shoot. Good deal. Figured it would work if no other reason than it headspaces on the rim.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally got to the range, a bit later than expected. I had reloaded the cases with 125 gr. Sierras and H335 powder. The load was maximum and averaged a bit over 2,700 f.p.s.from the 26" barrel. I am happy to report that the cases held up just fine. :biggrin:

w30wcf

Reactions: S-code
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.