Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local shop has an old "parlor gun" on display. They tell me it is an old German gun, approx. a .17 cal, that they used to shoot in the bar when it was the middle of winter in Germany.

IN the BAR!!
:roll:

It looks like a normal long gun but if you look close, it has an 8" barrel...it loads near the front of the fore stock. Single shot.

Has anyone ever seen one of these?

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Never seen one but it sounds cool.
When I was younger there used to be a fair at our beach 3every year. They had all the assorted dart type games but they also had a shooting gallery with 22 cal gallery guns. Years later I was dating a girl who's dad was into guns & he had a pump action Win gallery gun. It only took shorts & held a bunch in the magazine.
Anyway its funny how times change. Shooting in a bar or at a fair will land you in jail in most places now.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
These were actually called Zimmerstutzens. They used a 4mm rimfire cartridge, and looked like full sized schuetzen rifles, except they were used for indoor matches at 50 ft. The ammo is unavailable, so they are all "display" pieces. A few people have found the rare ammo, and shot them just to see what they are like.
Many companies such as Buchel, Haenel, Kessler, Nagel, Neumann, Konigs, and Chr. Schilling made these guns. They have what appear to be a small bolt mechanism on the bottom of the barrel, which opens to allow a round to chamber. As Midnight Rider mentioned, the actual barrel is only about 8"-10" long. The firing pin is much longer, as it travels down the rest of the barrel to the action, and transmits the strike from the internal hammer.
There seems to be more info, and interest in these guns recently, since the latest books covering German singleshot rifles came out. Time was not long ago, when you couldn't give them away!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember those shooting gallery guns, Leverdude. Liability insurance would prevent that now.
I'm out of town now but when I return I'll check on that gun to see who made it.
You are exactly on the mark, marlinman93, it loads from the bottom.
Hey, let's all go down to the local pub, drink some beer, shoot some targets inside the bar... :shock: ...wait... :? ...nevermind.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Zimmerstutzens huh?
They made & make nice guns but them Germans can sure put a long name on a firearm!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Yes, the Germans prided themselves on fit and finish. Their guns were so far ahead of American guns of the same type! My Haenel Aydt has no visible screws anywhere except the buttplate! The forearm is held with a fitted wedge, the buttstock has a lever on the triggerplate that drops the whole trigger mechanism, which reveals the stock screw!
It's hard to see the seams on a well built German rifle, as they are so tight in the metal to metal, and metal to wood fit!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
That is truly a beautiful rifle and was made by a genuine MASTER craftsman who took pride in his work.

I have had a broomhandle Mauser or 2 over the years and even for a mass-produced firearm, the fit & finish is exceptional in the commercial models. No screws other than for the stocks.

The old Colts are another example of this. Very slick.

Marlins? You bet!! :D The wood to metal fit on the older rifles is impeccable! SW

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
parlour gun cartridge

Here is a comparison of the Parlor Gun cartridge to our standard .22 short. Thay are quite scarce in the US but still available in some Euro countries.

`57 Mountie

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Thanks Hogger!
They look like they'd be clumsy, but when you snuggle your cheek into that big old cheekpiece, it just feels like you're part of the gun! This old 8.15x46R will shoot groups of right at 1" from the bench, (but not with me!) Had a friend shoot it at the range for me, as I couldn't get much under 2" myself! :shock:

57 Mountie,
Thanks so much for the picture of the 4mm rimfire! Haven't seen any of that ammo for many years!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 Parlor guns. 1 is Flobert 5.4mm Gustav Genschow and Co. Berlin and the other is an octagon barrel that doesn't fire. I'm getting rid of both. Moving to Asia.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts