Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The accompanying photos are from a Papoose 70PSS. I would like to know if any one else has this problem. I have had this about 6 years so the 5 year guarantee is passed and I have not contacted Marlin yet. I just want to find out if this mushrooming is a common problem. I don't see any way to "fix" this and replacing the part is a problem since it has the serial number on it. Any ideas if this will continue to mushroom or is this as bad as it gets? Rounds thru the gun 1500 to 2000. I believe this is a common part with a 795 so you 795 owners might give yours a look see.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,630 Posts
You been shooting HyperVelocity ammo? Because I haven't seen that before...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used various types of ammo mostly in the 1200 FPS range and maybe a few hyper but not more than one box. I see no advantage to the hyper stuff fo the plinking I do.

·
Super Moderator
15,630 Posts
What kind of shape is the buffer in? Can you post a pic of the action showing the buffer and position?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know I did not think of the buffer so I took the rifle apart this morning and the buffer is OK. When cleaning I kind of glance at the buffer but but never really look at it so I had to double check. I put a new one in anyway just in case. Even without the buffer the bolt cannot go back far enough to hit the mushroomed part. It does compress the spring pretty tight.
Thanks for all your comments.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I was thinking the buffer too.
Had to replace two of them this month, both on 70PSS's. Just crumbling and mucking up the works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The buffer I replaced look OK but it has been in the gun some time. I have never had one crumble. I am going to have order a couple next I order some other gun supplies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts