Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOME people have gotten me interested in paper patched boolets!, now i have a SS 45-70 and HOPE to build a roller in this caliber, so now, i have to start learning about paper.....cookies, lubes, powders, cases and sizing...etc,etc! :shock:

but i am searching for the majic "3 shot cloverleaf"!

hehehehehe........anybody else rolling theirs on the kitchen table?

·
Registered
110 Posts
kaintuck....roll my own and yep, on the kitchen table. There are a couple of good books out there I understand, but I haven't looked at them. It just isn't too hard. You can get almost everything you need at Buffalo Arms (http://www.buffaloarms.com/). Just look under bullet molds, then paper patch molds and accessories. You need a paper patch mold that will usually be bore diameter +/- a little, a patch template for your caliber, and some patch paper. The paper patch molds are a little pricey, but original PP molds (Winchester, Sharps, etc.) are way up there. Nose pour seems the best to me.

After cutting the patch with the template, you wet it, wrap it twice around the bullet, twist the tail and then set it base down to dry. I set mine in a loading block and put a flat board on top with weight to keep the base flat.

When you load, the neck needs to be tight, but not so tight that you tear the patch. No crimp as it will cut the patch. If you're shooting black powder and want a lube cookie, you can use one of the fancy lube ribbon makers or do like I do. I put a ball of my regular BP lube between 2 sheets of wax paper and roll it flat with a rolling pin. I use a popsicle stick on either side to keep the lube cookie the same thickness. After you are done with the blackpowder fill and wad, just use the case mouth to cut out a cookie and put another wad on top. Then the paper patched bullet and done.

You will have to clean more often with blackpowder and paper patch, but it's the 1st bullet that counts.

Soon you will be ready for sub 1/2 MOA groups at 500 yards. :roll:

max

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
And see if a Swiss Vett can group as good as an Italian Vett!! :D :D Ya need four touching to beat it!! :D Aha! We could have a postal match. The loser goes postal! :shock: SW

1 - 3 of 3 Posts