Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have heard some people are using 45 cal. pistol bullets and paperpatching them for their 45-/70 rifles. I have had no experience in this area what so ever and am eager to try this idea. Can some explain this idea and/or point me in the right direction. I have a 45 cal pistol mold and I thought I would give it a try, any help would be appreciated.
Graeme.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Theres a forum dedicated to paper patching further down the index page where you might find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I do that all the time for plinking loads and making what I call "45-70 Lites". It's easy to do.
But do go the the paper patch forum for details. You'll find what you're looking for there to be sure.

Wade

·
Registered
593 Posts
So with the paper patch you are shooting .45 bullets instead of .458 bullets?

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys I saw that before and you know I forgot Dhhhuurrr. (I was young, I was innocent, I was in love, you know all the excuses)

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
rhendrix said:
So with the paper patch you are shooting .45 bullets instead of .458 bullets?
that would be .454 vs .458

With .004 paper you would close the gap. A human hair is .003, so its not a far stretch

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
The 45 caliber bullets .452", and .454" work and will patch for shooting and I have used both. I also patch .457" and the bullets I use is a deciding factor on the papers that I use. I do a double wrap and if using paper that is .002" thick then this is .008" paper around the bullet, sounds like a lot but if the loaded round will chamber it will shoot and the paper engages the rifling and goes through the bore like putty. The bullets that I patch for my 45-70's have an overall diameter around .463" but I size them in a .461" Lee sizer before I load. 8) 8) 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts