1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
584 Posts
I don't mind the odd pan fried steak. Like he said it has to be hot! If it isn't the juices seep out and sort of steams it rather than frying.

HA

·
Registered
578 Posts
Pan fried steak was just about all my pop (an old Weat Texas Cowboy) would eat.
Flour it, fry it, and make some "Sleepy Gravy" from the drippings and this mornings coffee..
I was fifteen before I found out that people actually ate steak more than a half inch thick and rare.
Talk about a culture shock!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I would turn my nose up at pan-fried steak (I assume you don't mean breaded), that is until I tried one. It was done in a black iron skillet, very hot. Sear both sides and cook it medium rare. I think they taste as good as any I've had, but they don't get the fire roasted flavor and the appearance is different.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you haven't tried a steak in a cast iron pan, you don't know what you're missing! We tried it a couple weeks ago and somebody(me) was too lazy to drag out the grill. The key is to heat the pan ahead of time and when the oil is about ready to start smoking, it's ready...
Grandma knew something about cooking that was lost when aluminum pans and teflon coatings came out.

BTW - A good cast iron pan is cheap $25 but only go with USA made Lodge. you won't look back

·
Registered
578 Posts
MacGregor said:
"sleepy gravy" eh? i know that as "red-eye gravy"
Sleepy Gravy,,, Red Eye Gravy,,,, no matter what ya call it, I remember it as being awfully good on mashed potatoes, and mandatory to soften up those confounded, floured and fried in bacon grease untill they were hard as a rock, round steaks.

Don't get me wrong,,, I like a good pan fried steak that's about an inch thick and med/rare, but I haven't eaten one of those hockey pucks my pop called steak since I left home...

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
i hear ya... my wife's from texas, and she ate her steak well done when i met her... took her to a fancy restaurant and she ordered a filet mignon, well done.. the waiter winced visibly, i looked at her and said "don't make them burn it, try it medium" she hesitated and agreed. now she prefers med-rare (when she's not pregnant)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sorry for the hi-jack (and what is probably a stupid question),,, but do tell,,, why no med-rare steak when pregnant???

Thanks

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
MyDogsHunt said:
Sorry for the hi-jack (and what is probably a stupid question),,, but do tell,,, why no med-rare steak when pregnant???

Thanks
it's a thing with her, she won't eat sushi or rare steak when she's pregnant.. doesn't have to make sense, because... well she was pregnant.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Interesting,,, but since I've never been pregnant,, who am I to argue??

Pregnant or not, I couldn't agree with her more about the Sushi.
The stuff scares me. :-[

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
we love sushi in this house.. my daughter and son both started eating it when they were 2 years old. nothing beats a plate full of raw fish.

·
Registered
578 Posts
MacGregor said:
we love sushi in this house.. my daughter and son both started eating it when they were 2 years old. nothing beats a plate full of raw fish.
Yikes!!!! :p :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
MyDogsHunt said:
Thanks
I once drove 4 hrs for strawberries in January. Not very common in Canada at that time of year. Couldn't cook bacon in the house for 9 months either. The smell of it made her puke. There isn't any argueing with a pregnant woman. It's yes dear or hear about for the rest of your life! ;)

Now she hear's about all my hardships while she was pregnant. ;D

A nice thick strip loin is nice in the pan.

HA

·
Registered
205 Posts
HuntAway said:
I once drove 4 hrs for strawberries in January. Not very common in Canada at that time of year. Couldn't cook bacon in the house for 9 months either. The smell of it made her puke. There isn't any argueing with a pregnant woman. It's yes dear or hear about for the rest of your life! ;)

Now she hear's about all my hardships while she was pregnant. ;D

A nice thick strip loin is nice in the pan.

HA
You are right it was Hot fudge sundae, with chocolate ice cream and chocolate sprinkles every night for 9 months. I did get her to eat a steak medium rare and not shoe leather well done out of the pregnancy. My son can't understand why he loves chocolate in any form to this day.

·
Registered
702 Posts
mof I just had that 4 supper but had some thin sliced red sweet pepper stirred w/the sweet onion and sauteed. peice of chuck eye about the size of my xxl hand. with creamed 'taters with steamed brocoilli mashed in and sour cream.
not like George Bush 1st- didn't like broccolli

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Two methods from another website... I have tried the second one and it worked very well.

1. "he wife bought a cookbook from The Palms restaurant, and they give a method to cook steaks, when a commercial broiler or charcoal grill, is not available. They maintain that a home broiler is basically only hot enough to steam the juices right out of a steak, as they cannot sear the meat quickly enough to seal them in. Tried it with a couple of New Yorks this evening, and damned if it wasn't one of the best steaks I've ever cooked!

Pat the steaks dry, rub with a little olive oil, and let them set at room temp for a couple hours. Get a heavy skillet(I used a LeCreuset coated cast iron) on high heat. Season with S&P, and place seasoned side down in skillet, and don't move it for 2-1/2 minutes. Season the top side, and gently turn it over, and again, don't move it for 2-1/2 minutes. Remove the steaks to a rack, and let them sit for 30-60 minutes(I did 45). Place the steaks back in the same skillet, and into the oven, which has been pre-heated to 425. Bake for 10 minutes to finish the steaks med-rare. Put steaks back on the rack to rest for 8 minutes, and serve.

What impressed me, was when plated, there wasn't a puddle of juices on the plate. When you cut a bite of steak, the meat was juicy as hell, but it didn't bleed all over the plate. It turned out basically perfect.

The method was news to me, and it sure did work. Great foul weather alternative to the grill."

2. "I read recently about how big steak places actually cook their steaks. It goes something like this:

Preheat your oven to 450*
Take an oven proof skillet and put a little oil in it and get it HOT. Season your steak as you like it and then put it in the hot skillet and sear it a couple of minutes per side to seal in the juices. Then move it to the oven and let it cook 5-7 minutes for rare, 8-10 minutes for medium and so on.

I tried it and it was the best steak I remember ever eating. I buy my steaks (rib-eyes) at Sam's in Montgomery and they are huge. They cost less than $8/pound and are delicious.

Does anybody else cook their steaks this way? I may never use my grill again."

Reactions: Hunter2506

·
Registered
702 Posts
yes I have seared the steak then into a hot oven for 8 minutes to finish.
you should use a cast iron griddle pan that has the raised ribs. about 4 minutes each side on high heat in the pan then into oven about 400d
great steak, less time for the rarer tastes.
gives you time to saute onions/peppers also or have them pre-cooked.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.