Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the best place to ask but its probably as good as any for an oddball Marlin question.
Those of us past the half century mark plus, will remember the old TV classic Paladin with Richard Boone. Now I rarely got to see it as a kid, as I recall, it was on after bedtime.

Anyway, have been watching the reruns on cable and all those old westerns are kind of fun.

One thing I have noticed, he rarely if ever has a rifle, but sure enough, one episode shows a buttstock in a scabbard, with the horse head piece inlayed on the stock. Now even in the closing credits, he has no long gun on the saddle when riding off into the desert.

But I saw an episode last night, when the long gun comes into use, and guess what? Its a Marlin I am pretty sure. Has the rocky mountain front sight, along with what appears to be a 14" octagonal barrel, or at least way shorter than a 20" Then in one scene the carrier notch is seen in the bottom of the receiver.

Am guessing its a 93. When one watches the old TV westerns, Marlins are as scarce as hens teeth. I noticed the old Glen Ford movie recently where he plays the sheep herder, a couple of the bad guys have Marlins, and then I happened to see an old Wagon
Train episode, where one of the kids is carrying a Marlin 39 or some such. Am sure others are seen but again, they are rare.

I think one reason I like Paladin, many of the locations sure look like Tahoe, or Mammoth, and one location they gave as Bend OR. I can be in any of those places in a few hours drive or less. If one likes high desert scenery, and snow capped rugged peaks, Paladin is sure one of the old classics to watch.

Anyone else ever notice the Marlin Boone occasionally carries? Wonder what happened to it?

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
What I want to know is where you are watching old Have Gun...Will Travel episodes? I'd like to watch some.

Wire Paladin San Francisco.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
I saw the same thing last night and I thought "That's a Marlin." It is on our Encore Western channel every week night right after The Virginian and Wagon Train. I almost never miss it because Gunsmoke follows Have Gun, Will Travel ... one of my highlights for the day ::) :).

bjm

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats where I found it, Encore westerns. Yeah, those old reruns are so far back, either I never saw them, or have forgotten in total.

I guess he was supposed to be a fast draw guy, thus the lever gun rarely is presented in the plot. Maybe some others will have more facts on the gun.

And speaking of Charles Bronson in that episode, the movie where he plays the turn of the century trapper they are chasing, has several marlins in it if I recall correctly.

Reactions: Texas Shooter

·
Registered
151 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Bronson movie was titled "Death Hunt" and had Carl Weathers, Lee Marvin, and Angie Dickinson. That is a great movie chasin the Mad Trapper, one of my favorites.

There are a couple of Marlins in it, one being a 14"-ish barrelled 93, one of the first I had ever seen with that short of a barrel. Sucked me in. Now I can't get enough of the short ones, of course 16" is the best I can do here in the Democrat state of Iowa. I'll retire somewhere the shorter ones are legal and a guy can actually posess a class 3 license.

SM

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got to thinking, somewhere a few years back I recall a "TV show gun fact" type website. Had many of the types of guns used in movies etc.

I imagined more guys might have noticed Paladins short barrel rifle, and would have more trivia to offer on it. Course been near 50 years since it was presented on TV.

Wonder what happened to the original film of the Steve McQueen, where he had the sawed off 92 Win? Maybe dissolved in the film container perhaps?

But yeah, Death Hunt is a great one for authentic guns and gear, loosely based on a real event I think. IIRC, it was produced by that guy that died a year or so back, will think of the name later, but his movies are always dead nuts on for the guns shown.

Reactions: Texas Shooter

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank ye kindly! Ron

·
Registered
590 Posts
Glad to help

·
Registered
79 Posts
You guys hurt me with the Death Hunt reference. I'm just sitting here remembering him running through the snow with his snowshoes and I HATE summer and it's 100°. :'( What I wouldn't give to be running around in snowshoes right now.

I get to see Paladin on the MeToo TV station in IL. I used to have a Paladin cap gun and holster when I was a kid. I wish I still had that including the box. Those things can be worth some bucks these days.

Andy

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hate to make you guys back east feel bad, but we have yet to see 100 degrees here in this part of NV. Of course July 5th was the closing day of the ski runs up on top.

Normally though, we start seeing triple digits in June. Only been the past day or two its hit 93.

The media of course is trying to make the heat another "crisis". I hate to break it too them, but its been hot before in midwest and east.
My Grandad die mid July in 1965, in S W MO. and it was 105. That we were putting up hay that day probably did not help though. ::)

At least he went out with his boots on, and I hope to go the same way. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
sargemarlin said:
If I remember correctly, the Bronson movie was titled "Death Hunt" and had Carl Weathers, Lee Marvin, and Angie Dickinson. That is a great movie chasin the Mad Trapper, one of my favorites.

There are a couple of Marlins in it, one being a 14"-ish barrelled 93, one of the first I had ever seen with that short of a barrel. Sucked me in. Now I can't get enough of the short ones, of course 16" is the best I can do here in the Democrat state of Iowa. I'll retire somewhere the shorter ones are legal and a guy can actually posess a class 3 license.

SM
Sorry SM ! No marlins in the movie Death Hunt! :-[ They were all Winchesters! Including that short barreled lever! Check it out on the link posted by Heavyduty! ;)

CJ

·
Banned
398 Posts
Anyone remember the western "BIg Valley"? Marlins were used in that show. Have not seen it on the air in a long time now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
RGR said:
At least he went out with his boots on, and I hope to go the same way. ;D
Hey, good way to think RGR. I agree!

As far as the heat, unfortunately for me, anything over 30° is a crisis. LOL! If it was no higher than 18° all year, I'd be thrilled! I don't mind single digits at all either.

Andy

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cascade Jinx, I followed the link and apparently its been a while since I've seen it. The mind sees what it wants I guess. Crap!

SM

·
Registered
419 Posts
RGR said:
I got to thinking, somewhere a few years back I recall a "TV show gun fact" type website. Had many of the types of guns used in movies etc.

Wonder what happened to the original film of the Steve McQueen, where he had the sawed off 92 Win? Maybe dissolved in the film container perhaps?
I'd like to see a forum like that.

Wanted Dead or Alive is also available on Netflix. Unfortunately it's only on DVD.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051327/

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would have sworn that Death Hunt movie had a Marlin or two, but its been quite a few years since I have seen it. That movie gun site is likely correct, but being from MO, I would have to see the flick again before any large bets were layed. ;D

I saw a rather modern Bonanza spin off awhile back, made in the early 90s I suspect, and one "good" guy was shooting what I suspect a Marlin restoration, case colors bright as a nickel in a goats ear.

Back in the past, if its a fact, it was claimed only one major gun supplier pretty much outfitted the major movies. Some of course are class 3, must be a pile of paperwork to use a full auto on a movie set, even one rigged for blanks. Thats one thing I have noticed, one will rarely see a class 3 gun in a B movie, I guess the budget wont cover the cost?

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
sargemarlin said:
Cascade Jinx, I followed the link and apparently its been a while since I've seen it. The mind sees what it wants I guess. Crap!

SM
No problem! ;) In a quick scene in a movie, sometimes those Winnies and Marlins are hard to distinquish. But you were right on when you said it was a great movie. I liked that one too! ;D

What part of Iowa? I grew up in the South Central part ot the state (Chariton/Knoxville area).

Now in Oregon

CJ

1 - 20 of 61 Posts