Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well heres my 1889 collection ,two rifles ones bluing is not to bad the other is pretty silvery , the silvery one is s/n 41926 and is a 38-40, the one with more blue is a 32-20 s/n 28553. these are nice little rifles, BUT my finger barely fits in the trigger guard with that bolt latch in there !!! :) Don

·
Registered
496 Posts
Very nice. Your rifles are a cut above mine. On of the very first Marlins I bought was an 1889 rifle in .38-40. It is in averge shape so I consider it a shooter. I also have a 1889 carbine in 44-40 which is not in to bad of shape.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parley, In the blue book it says most 1889's have octagon barrels, i have only seen a half dozen and all have been round barrels, makes me wonder if there were more with round barrels? Don

·
Registered
549 Posts
loggah said:
Parley, In the blue book it says most 1889's have octagon barrels, i have only seen a half dozen and all have been round barrels, makes me wonder if there were more with round barrels? Don
Loggah, my experience is the opposite of yours. At least up here in Canada, all the 1889's that I've seen (about 8 ) have had 24" octagon barrels. The first 1889 that I bought a couple of years ago was built in 1891 and has a half-round/half-octagon barrel --- it was in sad shape when I bought it:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,50301.msg485582.html#msg485582

It's now cleaned up pretty well, and I'm working on fitting a new PGW stock:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Interesting, as most I have seen have been octagon barrels. I do have a very nice round barrel Model 1888. Maybe I should have added that to my scarce list.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess i must have been lucky just seeing round barrels!!! i passed on a 1888 once a long time ago 28" or 30" half octagon, pistol grip, dont remember the caliber !! it was at a gunshow in Morrisville Vt. , i kick myself ,i had no idea how rare they were. !!!!! Do

·
Registered
496 Posts
Oh man, that 1888 was very rare. Maybe unique.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts