Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recently acquired 1893 is the 3rd 1893 I have owned that still had a substantial amount of black paint on it! I wonder what motivated the past owners to do that. I could see if the gun was used in a salt water environment that paint would be the easiest fix for the average rifleman. Any thoughts.......?

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I think you've already hit on the main reason, it's the easiest and cheapest way to "fix" the problem. My Dad had a saying, "Paint covers a multitude of sins!"
When I was young I had no idea what he meant, but the older I get, the more I realise how all encompassing this quote of his is!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I picked up a #2 remington a few years ago that had been painted black for many years. the previous owner said his Grandfather kept the old gun on his boat and the paint kept it from rusting. FWIW, moodyholler

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Moodyholler,
Some of the lower grade Remingtons (not the #2) were painted black from the factory. I believe the #6 for sure, and possibly the #4's. I have a friend who owns a pristine #6, and the barrel is painted black. I checked at the Rem. site and they confirmed that Rem. did this to some of these guns.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm in the home building business and in this business, we like to say a good drywall job hides the sins. But I guess it would be dificult to drywall a rifle ... maybe if you cut really thin strips and used lots and lots of "Liquid Nail" ...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I have no problem at all buying painted guns if priced accordingly. Once in a great while the paint hides some markings that enhance the value. SW

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'd sure like to find out how the WW-I Lee-Enfield Mk III's had their STOVING "painted" on.... Very resilient finish for gunmetal..... IIRC, Savage may have made a few this way under contract...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
When I was a kid, my first centerfire rifle was a Savage 340 in 30/30 Win. The finish was bare and in coastal South Texas I had a bit of a problem keeping the rust off the gun. After that first hunting season, I took the rifle down and did a very complete job of applying a flat black paint job to the metal. I then worked on the stock giving it a hand rubbed oil finish. That rifle looked great and NEVER had corrosion problems for the remaining years I owned it. I got top dollar for it when I sold it.

I just traded a 42" root plow for a '93, pick it up today. Nice rifle that has been in use on the present ranch since new.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Ranch Dog,
Any chance of seeing pictures of the new 1893?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts