Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another forum member & I were just discussing this. You pay WAY too much for a rifle that was not misrepresented... at least in a criminal way that you can take to court. And you learn that it ain't the way it left the factory, what next?

The gun we discussed had coarse checkering and a possible propane torch color case hardening job, but any other altered gun would do for this hypothetical situation. The one in question was priced around 10 grand and was worth maybe 400 tops.

Any remedy? Bite the bullet? SW

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
For that amount of money, I'd probably seek legal advice from a professional.... regardless of what I thought of my chances-I'm no expert, that's for sure. I'd first try to gain redress from the seller though, and take it from there. I'd be interested in seeing a description that isn't criminal mis-representation for an altered gun.

Put another way, I wouldn't take a beating on something like this without making a great deal of noise- of the kicking and screaming variety...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Well I guess it depends on what the description said. If a seller says it's all original, then I'd go with Doc's advice, and seek my money back, or legal advice. If the seller eludes to a possibility that it's not original, then you' just stepped into deep doo doo!
Only recourse is to hope you've got deep pockets, and thick skin! And maybe you're young enough to live long, and find another buyer 50 years later!

·
Registered
719 Posts
or.........

or sell it to a guy from kentucky....he'll buy anything that goes bang!
:shock: :D

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the reason I don't do the on-line auctions... or the in-person ones, either. It's just too easy for me to get carried away. I have seen people get caught up in the bidding & pay a lot more for something that a sane person would have.

Last gun I bought at an auction was a Marlin 410 lever at a farm auction in the early 80s. I saw some old clod buster looking at it & saying how he wanted to cut it down for his grandson to shoot rabbits. :shock: It ended up me & a gun nut banker bidding, & the auctioneer made some off-color remark about bankers. Well, he got sore & left & I wound up with it for a little over 350. That was about the going price then & I wasn't too happy with myself. Sure, they go for a lot more than that now, but at the time it was no bargain.

So I have never been to another gun auction since. I also have no credit cards & do not belong to any auction sites. I have had fairly good luck buying rifles on the WTS forum on a different site, though. Just like at the gun shop, if it has not sold in a certain time, I PM the seller to ask if he would be offended by an offer. Sometimes it works out - sometimes it doesn't.

I know of people who do well with auctions, though - you just have to be in practice, I guess. And be able to stop bidding at what you have decided is your top dollar. SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I've had good luck at local auctions, as long as they're not gun auctions. I have found several nice Marlins, and a Ballard #5 locally, but at each auction there were only 2-3 guns, so most gun people didn't want to sit through the rest of the antique baubbles to wait for guns.
I've bought a few guns years ago that were no bargain at the time, but now seem like wise investments. I purchased a model 1892 .32 cal. deluxe rifle, with pistol grip checkered stock, half octagon barrel, Lyman combo front sight, and Lyman tang sight. The gun was in 90% condition, and the seller wouldn't budge off of $1,000. That was about 8-9 years ago. A couple friends thought I was nuts, and a couple others said you just have to step up once in awhile, and pay the price. I can't say for sure what it might be worth now, because I haven't seen a nother like it for sale. But I think it's finally worth a fair amount more than I paid, so I guess the hang onto it and hope theory worked this time.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have purchased 2 new Marlins, one each from Gunbroker.com and Auctionarms.com. I did some research beforehand and discovered that 2 local dealers could not come close to beating the "buyitnow" price on both guns. My recently acquired 1893 "B" was purchased at a local pawn / gun shop. It was not a consignment item. I knew right off the bat that both pieces of wood needed to be replaced. The mainspring felt odd, too. When all was said and done, I replaced both firing pins and retaining pins, the mainspring, and all the screws. Precision Gun Works should be sending my new stock and forearm soon. Personally, I feel that I paid too much for it, but I just had to have it! The dealer really had no clue what a Grade "B" was, either. I will have a bunch of money tied up in it and I know that I would never be able to recoup but a small part of my investment should I decide to sell it. The rifle put 15 of my handloads in a group measuring 1-5/8", dead center, at 50 yards. I enjoy it and will continue to do so, even though I feel I spent too much. Live and learn, I guess!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I think Roundsworth came up with a good example of the irrationality that can slip into our gun dealings with little notice.... Hogger touched on this aspect a bit with his take on auctions and credit cards.....

I've got my own examples of this in the gun vault too, but thankfully on a much smaller scale. 500 seemed a lot to pay for a .22 that was a store demonstrator with handling marks and slight dings in the wood- it was just one of those instances of having to have a gun after shouldering it.

Turns out that 500 Cdn was one of my best gun investments- the 52 repro's are climbing steadily in price, with 700 US being the current benchmark today. I have no intention of selling mine- it's too much of a good shooter for me to let go of. There's another one that I probably over paid for, but I wanted it, and yes I had to sink further money into it to turn it into a shooter. I'm glad I did- to me the uniqueness of my old Marlin pump is worth over paying a little for....

The irrational side of it is going into these things knowing I'm over paying, but I haven't been un-happy with the end results.... this must be the hall-mark of true gunaholism! :wink:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A gun-o-holic would be the guy that bid 66 grand for the 22 in your other post. That was truly a work of art, though.

I bought an M95 Steyr long rifle recently. The seller had 6 altogether. He quickly sold 4 more and e-mailed me to see if I didn't want the lonely remaining M95M. At a price a lot higher than I usually pay for these. Well, it was complete with extractor and internal clip.... and I only had one other... and there was a bit of currency in my mad money hide out...

Hmmm... looks like I'm a gun-o-holic, too! :? SW

·
Registered
579 Posts
Aw common' uyou guys! I own this trophy! I paid 235.00 for lyman #1 with a locking staff tang that was supposed to be for a Marlin 93. Last month I found out it was a 1890 Winchester sight that had been cut down into a Marlin base. What a bummer! moodyholler

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
moodyholler said:
Aw common' uyou guys! I own this trophy! I paid 235.00 for lyman #1 with a locking staff tang that was supposed to be for a Marlin 93. Last month I found out it was a 1890 Winchester sight that had been cut down into a Marlin base. What a bummer! moodyholler
There's plenty steel to work with in an 1890 base- enough to do a decent conversion to fit a straight gripped Marlin- something I've been contemplating doing with the cheapie aluminum base Taurus sight... now where can I get a hold of a dremel at this hour, hmmm??? :wink:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
719 Posts
oh yeah!?

well, the gun bug has been shared with a r/c airplane bug that goes back to my 1960's love for anything that flies...so after my pop passed away in 1995, i ran across some old photos of him and his 1940's airplanes!....i wanted to get and make a copy....i found the planes plans right away...but the motor~ wow.....THAT was a hrd one! a Drone diesel 'gold crown".....well ebay flourished and i kept searching....then a few started poping up on-line...but they were 'well used'....i waited, and yup one came up...i put a top bid on it, and after the one other nut kept bidding it up, i won it after the dust settled...at $150 bucks! but i have it, and one of my splurges i can tell you! :roll:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I had a friend tell me once, "You only paid too much, if you try to sell it!" So if it's staying in your collection, it is a moot point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts