Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the PA rifle season is over. I spent most of the two weeks in the ladder stand through rain, snow, sleet, wind, below freezing temps, and temps in the upper 40's. It sure doesn't feel like the deer season when I was a kid and we had snow on the ground for all two weeks and it never got above freezing.

This was the first season hunting with the 444p. She was loaded with BT 290 gr cast reloads. They shot great pre-season when sighting in with the XS Ghost Ring sights.

Opening day at 8am the nicest buck I have ever seen hunting stood broadside at 115 yards and I shot under him. Maybe my 52 yo eyes aren't able to make it happen with the open sights. Do I go the scope route? Scout scope? I guess I have a whole year to decide. I LOVE carrying the Outfitter with just the open sights but when blessed with opportunities like that one I hate the thought of missing again. I was able to make 100 yard shots consistently when shooting at paper under good conditions but we all know when in a stand under hunting conditions they are not always ideal.

I saw a lot of other deer this season but nothing legal so no venison in the freezer.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
At least you were able to get out. There's still black powder.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Deer Antler Reindeer Elk Natural material

Season ended early for this guy. Roadkill ,boys found it yesterday 50 yards off the road. Four bucks killed on my place this year and this is the biggest.🤨
My 45/70 has a 4x. It's growing on me. Son claimed the Skinner fof his 336.

·
Super Moderator
4,745 Posts
I have a Leupold 1-4 on my T4. I just can’t shoot open sights worth a dang past 50 yards anymore. Old eyes and years of welding have forced me to scope everything I hunt with.

Frank

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Nice looking rifles gentleman.

Reactions: Dynactus

·
Registered
422 Posts
There's no worse feeling than being prepared for a hunt and dedicating your time towards a successful conclusion, then missing the only opportunity you had; I've been there and understand your disappointment. And although I agree that a scope may look a bit awkward on a lever action rifle, I learned long ago that a good scope is my best friend if I'm seriously intending to actually bag a game animal and not miss, or worse, wound and lose my quarry. I would encourage you to mount a good scope on your Marlin, and know from experience that you'll be happy you did. As long as the optics you choose are quality, the size and brand you select is immaterial; but personally I prefer big ole honkin' Leupold scopes. Never had one to let me down, and the light gathering ability of a good quality scope will give you opportunities you'll NEVER have with open or peep sights. An example is the 9-pt below taken at "dark-thirty" with my 338MX and Leupold variable.

·
Registered
77 Posts
At my age (57) I prefer a scope for hunting if I’m going to have to shoot 100 yards or beyond.

Conditions in the field rarely mimic what we experience on the range and I want every advantage so as to quickly dispatch my target.

Reference what type of scope to use (traditional or scout set up) I have used both types and prefer the scout scope for my leverguns.

To me, the Scout setup is slightly easier to quickly get on target.

That said, the easier way to go for the Marlin 1895 would be use a standard reciever mount and honestly, properly set up, reciever mounted scope can be just as fast to snapshoot with as a Scout Scope.

Gratuitous lever gun pics:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I know all about the old eyes, I got me a set of those too! Mounting a scope, either traditional or scout type, with a weaver/picatinny type rail that the scope can come back off after hunting season or hand load testing works for me. Scout type scopes preserve the easy carrying qualities, but gives up field of view and low light capability. Standard mounting on the receiver is my preference, but comprises carrying and handling. I just take the scope off the rail when not needed for easy carrying and hiking through the woods, install it back on the rail if I need it. Works for me, can't see past a hundred yards around here anyway.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Deer Terrestrial animal Adaptation Snout Fawn
Sorry you missed on that big buck on the opener. You know how it is - the only hunters who’ve never missed are the ones who haven’t been hunting long. As for scoping your Triple 4 go for it. All my levers wear scopes. Even my 1894C (with which I wouldn’t take long shots at deer) is scoped. I shot the deer in the pic this year with that .357. You can see how dark it is, and it didn’t take me long to find it (only ran 35 yards with a blood trail the whole way). The point is light was fading when I shot and the scope makes such shots more doable, at least for me.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I gotta say that I've always liked my 1895 Cowboy, but the open sights became a real "challenge" to use once I passed 60 years young - ESPECIALLY in twilight! I mounted a Leupold 1.5x5 (with the German #4 reticle) on it a couple of years ago and I have been extremely pleased with the rifle since. I haven't used it deer hunting, but it has accounted for a couple of hogs - in twilight - and I was able to direct my 405 gr. cast bullets into the hogs w/o any issue. If I'd still been using the irons, I'd have had to pass on the shots.
So use those iron sights as long as you can see'em, but don't hesitate to add the appropriate glassware to the levergun. Believe me, you'll be happy that you did!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have to go with all the above. My 444 is equipped with a Leupold VX Freedom 1.5X4. Not their absolute best, but many times better than a bargain basement scope. When I make an adjustment with it. It moves where I wanted it to. Same reason for the scope, 60 year old headlights.

Reactions: 45marlin70

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the responses and encouragement. I'm thinking it is time to add a scope to the 444. I'll keep everyone updated with how I proceed. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Hunting season has been in for me since August and tonight is the first time I've hunted this year, got my 336D again and it is wearing an older bushnell 6x. Hasn't failed me yet.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Most of my hunting is in areas that dont present a shot of more than 50 yards. I do a lot of still hunting and creeping along deer trails. There for my Marlins and Winchesters have peeps or open sights. If I will be hunting more open areas I reach for my BLR or Savage 99. They have low power scopes in the 1-4X20 range. I find hunting with peep sights or open sights requires a lot of range time. Way more than with a scope. And most of that is building confidence.

·
Super Moderator
25,375 Posts
I have a Leupold M8 2.5X on my 444P. At almost 63 years old--I don't do irons anymore as the eyes ain't that good to use peeps. As one MO member stated a few years ago--I would rather hit the target than look stylish and miss.............

·
Registered
865 Posts
Tough missing a big one. Scope it.
Kudos toughing it out. We came home Wednesday, took 2 doe. I’ve missed several deer in PA during flintlock deer due to deflections. Any branches in the lane which you took the shot?
Sort of glad I have my buck tag. Want a flintlock buck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
At my age (57) I prefer a scope for hunting if I’m going to have to shoot 100 yards or beyond.

Conditions in the field rarely mimic what we experience on the range and I want every advantage so as to quickly dispatch my target.

Reference what type of scope to use (traditional or scout set up) I have used both types and prefer the scout scope for my leverguns.

To me, the Scout setup is slightly easier to quickly get on target.

That said, the easier way to go for the Marlin 1895 would be use a standard reciever mount and honestly, properly set up, reciever mounted scope can be just as fast to snapshoot with as a Scout Scope.

Gratuitous lever gun pics:

Awesome Chiapas!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes I will hit the woods for the Late Flintlock season that starts after Christmas. Bottom line is I love the time in the woods even if I don't bring home the bacon. But I do like to eat!

·
Registered
706 Posts
You can use a peep on PA flintlocks

Reactions: 45marlin70
1 - 20 of 40 Posts