Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read This what the Heck Doest This Goo Think ??? I did Not Built The Guns Marlin Did With Remgtion Barrels Holey Cow
Dan,
Do you seriously believe the grooves in the thread are there by accident? The 2 grooves are about 3/32 wide, separated by a small band of fully formed thread. I'm sure you have seen this pattern before, and only on the short actions. The rest of the code is as follows: 308 has no ring in breech face, 243 has 1 ring and 7mm-08 has 2. Long action only use the face rings: none on the 30-06, 1 on the 270 and 2 on the 25-06. Re-coil lug on backwards is obvious mistake, no good excuse for that, but the grooves are there to give quick ID to any barrel without needing to measure anything. Also, another difference is that groove at front end of thread is wider on stainless barrels than on the black ones.

Regards,
Unvarnish

·
Registered
85 Posts
With a 28 year background in Mechanical Design Engineering, I have a real hard time believing that those missing threads are a coding system put there On Purpose.

Sorry

I need a more plausible explanation

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hmmmmm.........wouldn't it be easier to read on the side where the caliber is stamped rather than leave out threads? ??? The bottom line is they are trying to cover up a mistake. They might as well just own up to it.......kinda irritating.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
This issue makes for some interesting reading, that's for sure!!! But comma, as we say! I do wish someone would "put this baby to bed". Seems to me that someone would know for sure if these are screwed up threads or some kind of "sequence", particular to certain calibers of barrels. I do not ever plan on unscrewing the barrel on my "7MM08" X gun, but motivated mostly by this discussion, I did remove the stock to check the recoil lug, and see if anything was blantly out of sorts. The lug was on correctly, everything looked screwed in tight enough, didn't look to me like the lug had a front or back, other than the "F" on it!!!! For the record, I hate shoddy workmanship!!! My X gun has Re,that's all I can read stamped on it, but as they say, it shoots "lights out", so I'll keep on shooting it. As they say, just my .02. T REX

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
codeing system? ya kidding me? :eek: ::)

·
Registered
386 Posts
My thoughts are the only way to "put this to bed" is for somebody to take a pic of a fully threaded 7-08. Then we know the real answer. I don't have a barrel wrench so I'm out!

Dan you still have any other barrels that you have taken off?

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
It might be a code! :eek: ::) But you need your Little Orphan Annie Secret Message Decoder Ring to read it! ;D
Drink your Ovaltine! And Don't shoot your eye out! ;D ;D

CJ

·
Registered
386 Posts
Cascade Jinx said:
It might be a code! :eek: ::) But you need your Little Orphan Annie Secret Message Decoder Ring to read it! ;D
Drink your Ovaltine! And Don't shoot your eye out! ;D ;D

CJ
That was kinda funny! :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
I am new here. But from everything I have read thus far it does not look good for Remington. It also makes one wonder how long it will take before someone gets an attorney involved. As if Remington did not have enough problems in the news with the Trigger deal.

·
Registered
386 Posts
GreenMachine said:
I am new here. But from everything I have read thus far it does not look good for Remington. It also makes one wonder how long it will take before someone gets an attorney involved. As if Remington did not have enough problems in the news with the Trigger deal.
Remington's going to be alright. Alot of those triggers are from having idiots try to adjust them, altough I have heard of a few of the new X mark's going off. But there is no way to prove in a court of law that the triggers just go off, kinda like the Toyota foot pedal thing a few months ago. The missing thread thing might be kinda screwy on their part but as long as the rifles are safe then again no possible lawsuits. It is B.S. that there is somebody on here trying to cover it up though, if it's really a code system show us lot's of barrel pics with the different codes! Then I think real hard about it? Do I really want a gun manufacture to be beaten into submission? Who wins then? Answer! The anti gun owner group

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
T REX said:
This issue makes for some interesting reading, that's for sure!!! But comma, as we say! I do wish someone would "put this baby to bed". Seems to me that someone would know for sure if these are screwed up threads or some kind of "sequence", particular to certain calibers of barrels.
I emailed Remington about this Monday night. I should get a reply by tomorrow. Whatever reply I get, I'll post it on this thread (assuming it's not locked or deleted).

The missing threads don't worry me to much because I have an original Marlin XL7 in .30-06 made in '08. :) According to Unvarnish, only the SA rifles have missing threads.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
bigdeerdown said:
and 1 on the idiots adjusting the trigger on the remingtons
Idiot:

An idiot, dolt, or dullard is a mentally deficient person, or someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way.

Yeah, that about covers it!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Halwg said:
Idiot:

An idiot, dolt, or dullard is a mentally deficient person, or someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way.

Yeah, that about covers it!
To further explain IDIOT! My bro in law has a Rem. 6mm that has a trigger so light that it has gone off twice in his truck. One time taking the brake line & 35" tire with it. IDIOT for the following reasons: #1 Brags about the trigger being so light you can blow on it and it'll fire. #2 For not fixing the trigger that another IDIOT made so light to begin with. #3 The fact he kept the gun loaded, bolt closed & safety off while in his truck. That my friends is another definition of IDIOT! So don't be an idiot, let a qualified gunsmith work on your triggers.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
grout-scout said:
To further explain IDIOT! My bro in law has a Rem. 6mm that has a trigger so light that it has gone off twice in his truck. One time taking the brake line & 35" tire with it. IDIOT for the following reasons: #1 Brags about the trigger being so light you can blow on it and it'll fire. #2 For not fixing the trigger that another IDIOT made so light to begin with. #3 The fact he kept the gun loaded, bolt closed & safety off while in his truck. That my friends is another definition of IDIOT! So don't be an idiot, let a qualified gunsmith work on your triggers.
Or in other words...

Don't be an idiot and ride around with your B.I.L. - - just sayin'... ;) ;D

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Funny, my dictionary said an idiot was somebody with the mental capacity of a three-year-old.

Obviously Unvarnish isn't an idiot as three-year-olds can't type.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If anyone does not want their Missing Thread oh excuse me, Coded barrel PM me. I'll make you an offer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts