Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Everyone,
Yesterday I became a new owner of Remington Factory 1894C, I guess they are starting to make them now. I feel like I should post this for people who are interested in buying a 1894 in .357 just to let you know what you are getting into. I wish I could post some pictures but my camera is out of commission at the moment.
I bought this rifle off of Gunbroker, and got a hell of a deal at the beginning of this month. When it arrived at my FFL, I immediatly took it out of the package and examined to see if all the rumors about the Remington factory were true. Most of the things I had heard was the quality of guns were not up to par, and not worth buying. When I first examined the gun, I noticed the rear sight had some minor markings from being hammered in without a brass punch or hammer. To me this is not a big deal,a little touch with a Sharpie easily solved this problem. As I cycled the lever, it was extremely gritty and after removing the screw to inspect the internals, I noticed there were some minor burrs on most of the contact parts of the lever. To me this is also not a problem, a little 600 grit would solve this problem as well.
The fit of the stock to the frame of the rifle was not evenly matched at all, but this rifle is going to be a shooter so this did not bother me either. On a side note, the wood that came on the gun is a highly figured walnut, I was shocked to see such a nice piece of wood on this rifle. The checkering was absolutely horrible. But the rear stock seemed to make up for that.
Today I went out to the range to "break her in". The first thing I noticed after getting all set up was the front site was slightly off center. This is the real bugger for me. I figured out how to get the gun firing 3-4" groups at 50 yards, which to me isn't bad for a home defense rifle.
After firing 200 rounds through it, the groups tightened up to about 2.5".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not sound sound like I am complaining, because this gun is a real dream to shoot with .38s, it really is like shooting an old Daisy Red Ryder. I am a little upset at the fact that the front sight is off, but my dilemma is what is the factory going to do to my gun if I send it back. I know how hard it can be to try to drill and tap after holes have already been made.
So there is my little rant on the 1894C, all things considered I am probably gonna have to send the gun back to Remarlington. When these problems are fixed, I will have a new favorite in my collection.

·
Premium Member
11,580 Posts
Shorty,

For EVERY problem with your new '94C, you've found a way to accept it............I would NOT do that!
That's a brand new rifle, and it should be correct in every way.

Make a list of everything wrong, and send the rifle BACK!..........Re: the front sight, the barrel condition is whats called a "Run Up"..........Which means the barrel didn't run up to 12:00 o'clock if your sight leans to the right............If the sight leans to the left, it's called a "Run By", meaning the barrel ran past 12:00 o'clock.....I suspect you have a "Run UP", and the sight leans to the right??...
There is NO need to re-tap any sight holes to correct that problem, but they will need to re-check the head space after correctiong the issue........I wonder if they even know that?

Lousey checkering, and wood that doesn't fit, or match seems to be the "new norm" for remington wood for Marlins...........I guess the term they use to describe it now, is ..."Good Enough".......

You paid good money for a new rifle!................Make a list ,and complain about EVERYTHING that doesn't look, fit or function correctly, and send that rifle back.

The MORE new buyers will accept, in terms of shoddy workmanship....... the MORE remington will expect you to accept!

Tom

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Sorry to hear about the issues, I understand your reluctance to send it back for repairs. I also understand Tomrays points regarding holding Remingtons feet to the fire on the issues. I am wondering why you would buy a new Remington / Marlin on GB when you could just as easily buy a used Marlin there. Is it the fact that it is used and you don't know or trust the stated condition?
I think we all should boycott the new Remington / Marlins if at all possible. I am sure if people don't buy, they might wonder with all the complaints they been receiving. And I can assure you that someone of importance at Remignton is watching this Marlin Owners site, as this is the largest collective information source out there.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought new on GB, because I got a really good deal on it, I bought it because it was priced less than what most FFLs can get straight from the distributor. I am probably going to end up sending it back anyway.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I agree with Tomray.

This may not sound like my name, but I think it is better to buy and complain than to boycott.
The more likely outcome of a boycott is the end of the name and line.

Peace

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
I bought my CP used several years after they were discontinued. The gun suffered from a severe case of "run by". I am surprised it made it thru Q control. Sent it back to Marlin and it was repaired, lickety-split, no charge. Send it back. If we accept mediocrity, we will forever receive mediocrity.

Papalote

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have to agree. I would send it back to fix the sight issue and since its gonna be there anyway they might as well fix the other issues. Who knows 50 years from now you might still have the rifle and want to sell it. All the guns that people just settled with won't be as nice as one that has everything correct. Besides you paid good money for a good rifle you held up your end shouldn't they.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Shorty336:

I notice that you are fairly new to MarlinOwners..... WELCOME!

I too would not accept the rifle you got in it's current condition.

Just in case you didn't know, Tomray worked for the "real" Marlin before the move to New York. I trust his opinions!

Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts