Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello riflemen-I clean my rifles at a sit down generally but have a couple rifles I would like to soak the barrels in a solvent and leave overnight. I'm hesitant to do this with my time proven chemicals. but if I can get away with it without buying some of that foam goop it would save me a trip to the store.
Can I do it with any of the following
shooters Choice
Hoppe's N0. 9 Copper remover
Pro-Shot Copper Solvent IV
Barnes CR-10
Breakthrough

I have a couple older rivers, Springfield 06 and a 303 that I would llike to soak the barrels. thanks, BestLever

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
BestLever, I use WIPE-OUT & swear by it. Best $10 95 I ever spent :D :D :D :D Just follow the directions. Don`t know about the products you are asking about. 444

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
444nut, if you want to save some money, get the Outers foaming bore cleaner from Walmart, $6.88 for a smaller can but still less per oz. Works the same as Wipeout and has a real delivery tube, no straw needed!!

Tim

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sniff it. If you smell ammonia, don't. You need a solvent with ammonia to remove copper fouling, but you don't want to leave it in the bore long.

Homebrew Ed's Red is safe for overnight or longer. A Google will bring up the recipe. You can make a gallon for about the price of a pint of the commercial stuff.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I use Hoppes Bench Rest. It contains a pretty strong ammonia smell. They say to let it set overnight. So far, it has performed satisfactorily for my but I'm also ready to try the foaming stuff the others just suggested. After about 60rds thru my .270 it was unbelievable how much green came out of the barrel.

Perferator

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have some Hoppe's Bench Rest. I'll give it a try, thank you all, BestLever

·
Registered
203 Posts
Bestlever,
I've always used Shooter's choice copper solvent but have only left it in the bbl. for 10 minutes,followed by the regular Shooter's choice solvent,to rid the bbl. of the ammonia residue which could be harmful to the bore if left in to long.Lately,I have given the Outer's foam cleaner a try and I am starting to really like how it works.I wouldn't leave it in over night though as it will dry and does no good that I can see.But it is as easy as 1,2,3 and I think it works pretty well.If I were to leave anything in my bore overnight ,it would be the Breakfree.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Bestlever,
I've always used Shooter's choice copper solvent but have only left it in the bbl. for 10 minutes,followed by the regular Shooter's choice solvent,to rid the bbl. of the ammonia residue which could be harmful to the bore if left in to long.Lately,I have given the Outer's foam cleaner a try and I am starting to really like how it works.I wouldn't leave it in over night though as it will dry and does no good that I can see.But it is as easy as 1,2,3 and I think it works pretty well.If I were to leave anything in my bore overnight ,it would be the Breakfree.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Both Hoppe's #9 and Break-Free CLP are harmless to rifle bore metallurgy, and over time will remove copper fouling. My bolt rifles get stored muzzle-down on gun rags inside the safe with Break-Free coating their interior surface, and the night before a range trip or hunt I swab out the stuff. Green gunk! If you have the time, the first 3-4 days after a shoot I try to swab out the green crapola once a day. Depending on the rifle, this can produce a small bit of the green copper oxide, or a substantial amount. While these solvents don't attack lead deposits directly, they do a number on the powder fouling underneath the lead deposits, and can free them up for easier removal via bore brush and "elbow grease".

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have left the bore full overnight with a rubber cork to hold it in. Ed's Red didn't do any damage that I could detect, and really cleaned up the bore.

jar

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bestlever,
I use clenzoil in all my firearms, it's the best product I've found... if you prefer to clean them the next day. And ecspecially if you shoot lead bullets. just put the stuff on a mop run it through the bore, come back in the morning with a brass brush and watch the lead being pushed out of the barrel! Also works great as a rust preventive. 8)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'll toss in another brand of foaming cleaner (non-ammonia)....Gunslick "foaming bore cleaner". Has a good tube-style delivery system and just takes one quick little shot for most rifles but a real big spurt for Big Bores! Best part is that it's non-oily. After cleaning you can have the rifle shooting good groups with a very minimum of fouling. With Bench Rest (Hoppes) it takes me about 9-11rds to get all the oil out of the bore and shooting back to normal. In about 5 or 6rds the .270 was punching good close groups. My best group ever was shot after cleaning/fouling with this cleaner last saturday. I wont tell you how close the group was but the first two shots went into the same hole which caused me to think I'd tossed a real bad flyer right off the paper!

Good stuff....I'll keep it around, 7.95 for a 3oz can.

Perferator

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
The Outers foaming cleaner that Walmart sells is the same thing as the Gunslick, just different printing on the can.... seeing how Outers own Gunslick products....$6.88 a can, save a buck so ya can kill one!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
quickdtoo said:
The Outers foaming cleaner that Walmart sells is the same thing as the Gunslick, just different printing on the can.... seeing how Outers own Gunslick products....$6.88 a can, save a buck so ya can kill one!!! :lol:
Hey, thanx for the tip :lol:

Same thing as the Kroil and Marvels Mystery Oil formulas. You dont have to guess which one of those is the cheaper.

Perferator

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Marvels Mystery Oil? I'm not familiar with this Kroil connection. Is the Marvel's that I get off the auto store shelf the exact same thing as Kroil? I would like this to be so. Anymore info on this? Thanks, Life is good, BestLever

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
I use #9 for all night soaking. Hoppes#9 will take the copper out, but you have to give it time. Barnes does not recomend CR-10 to be left in for long periods. Its strong stuff.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
BestLever said:
Marvels Mystery Oil? I'm not familiar with this Kroil connection. Is the Marvel's that I get off the auto store shelf the exact same thing as Kroil? I would like this to be so. Anymore info on this? Thanks, Life is good, BestLever

BestLever, I've heard from the boys over at the SavageShooters forum that it is one and the same.

Enjoy. Soak your whole tractor in it it's so cheap.

·
Registered
58 Posts
MMM is good stuff. I use it with Power Service in my diesel fuel to make the Cummins run smoother.
I use Hoppes #9 as a gun/barrel cleaner and wipe down before storage. I use it often to soak rifle barrels, actions and whole pistols (sans stocks, of course!) overnight with nothing but good results. It always amazes me to see the junk that comes out of a new or used rifle or pistol after a good soaking and flushing with #9. Both of my lever actions, bought new, slicked up quite a bit after I flushed out the actions this way.
I also don't just toss it after use. I pour it through a coffee filter back into the bottle for reuse, and the stuff lasts a long time.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts