Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was telling my buddy in deer hunting mecca (a.k.a. Western Wisconsin) that I'd snuck out and bought a Browning X-Bolt Eclipse Hunter, he mentioned that it had been featured in Outdoor Life recently as "Gun of the Year" or something to that effect. When I looked online (we don't get Outdoor Life up here in Soviet Canuckistan) I didn't find that article but I did find "25 Best Deer Rifles" and "20 Best Elk Rifles". In the Elk group, lo and behold, the 444 is proudly featured, they said some nice things about it and it appeared that most of what they said was pretty much spot on. I may take some issue with "moderate weight" listed as 8 lbs. That, to me, is why my Marlin is pretty much a stand rifle. Where I hunt, thick brush and heavily forested zones make movement a tough go when you're trying to keep your shootin' iron from banging into trees or getting caught in shrubbery - and 8 lbs (9 with the scope) tires the arms out pretty quick.

At any rate, I thought you fellow fanatics might enjoy the referral to the triple 4 - although I think it's likely that most of us would probably say "It's the Best" rather than just one of the 20 best.

Here's the link: The 20 Best Elk Hunting Rifles Ever Made -- Photo 8 | Outdoor Life

And, just in case the link doesn't work for you, here's a screen grab from that particular page.

Enjoy.

ONG

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
The 444 is a very good Elk rifle, but it's even better at DRTing Deer size critters!

What's Best is personal and opinionated!

Reactions: Yrmff and dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
450 Posts
I guess I'm opinionated...:biggrin: Actually I haven't had the opportunity to try for elk with my .444P but I know my 7mm Rem Mag does the trick.

Reactions: Dewphd

·
Registered
10,159 Posts
Thanks for sharing the link to the article. I had to scoff when the author said the 444 is mostly a short range rifle, with most recommending that shots not be taken further than 100 yards. What a joke...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for sharing the link to the article. I had to scoff when the author said the 444 is mostly a short range rifle, with most recommending that shots not be taken further than 100 yards. What a joke...
Jack,

Agreed with your comment about the 100 yard limit. I have, on the range, managed to penetrate quite a bit into a thick phone book (dry, not wet) at 150 yards using 265Gr Hornady JFP bullets over IMR4198 powder, much deeper than my .270 Win at the same distance (this was about 10 years ago, to prove my buddy wrong, who thought the 444 had the same range limitation that the article stated). I showed him he was wrong, he bought the beers later, and now when we head out to the deer camp he and I have swapped rifles for a day once or twice.

ONG

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, Buffalo Jake - fingers slipped, I typed "Jack". Oops.

Reactions: Buffalo Jake

·
Registered
10,159 Posts
Sorry, Buffalo Jake - fingers slipped, I typed "Jack". Oops.
Not a problem. I regularly shoot my 444 from 100 yards all the way up to 300 yards. The bison in my avatar photo was shot once at 125 yards, and once again at 300 yards dropping it right in its tracks. I would have no issue making another shot on a game animal at 300 yards with my 444.

Reactions: Yrmff

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah I noticed that as well about keeping shots to 100 yards and in. Had they said 200 I would have been fine with it but 100 is crazy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess I'm opinionated...:biggrin: Actually I haven't had the opportunity to try for elk with my .444P but I know my 7mm Rem Mag does the trick.
Honestly its not like elk hide is hard for a bullet to penetrate and they still only have a few inches of muscle before you get to the vitals. For a perfect broadside shot anything from a 243 on up will work. Of course you don't always get a perfect broadside shot and thats when the real difference between a marginal caliber(I wouldn't even consider the 243) like the 2506 and the 444(or 7mm mag) is really shown.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Yeah, I picked right up on that as well. Gun writers never seem to fail to live down to my expectations!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts