Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We can only see these critters for a few days each year, and usually around this time of year. If they didn't attach themselves to our front door, we would never see them. They are a very interesting critter, truly unique and almost as rare as unicorns.

This year we were treated to having two visit us at the same time, a green one and a brown one. I've never done any researched as to which ones are male or female. We enjoy seeing them every year. They don't seem to be bothered by us opening and closing the door, but we are more gentle with the door during their stay. Well, here they are, a pair of walking sticks...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I used to be terrified of those things when I was a little kid LOL. I'd freak out when a twig landed on me...thinking it was a stick bug.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
These sand hill cranes have been walking around in about the same spot in my wifes horse pasture for several days now. Don't know what attracted them to that spot. See them commonly but generally they are a little more shy.

DEP

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Ahhh biomimicry. Has anyone here ever freaked out when they saw one of those "Virginia Flower Fly" things? I used to think they were hornets and I would swing my walking stick at them and run like Hell.

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I left the house at 12:45pm today and the brown one was up on all six legs and slowly moving around on the door. So I snapped another cell phone pic. I'm glad I did, because when I returned home at 4:00 both of them were gone. It's a very narrow window of opportunity to catch a glimpse of these stealthy critters.

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ahhh biomimicry. Has anyone here ever freaked out when they saw one of those "Virginia Flower Fly" things? I used to think they were hornets and I would swing my walking stick at them and run like Hell.

I'd mistake those for the wrong insects too!

Reactions: JohnD13

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Waking sticks! I don't see them often but about ten years back, camped near Ticonderoga in early September, they were everywhere and on everything. Apparently liked the tents for climbing on.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Apparently they are all brown when hatched. As they develop and molt, they can change to several other colors, intermediate between dark brown to light green.

They are a pleasant and inoffensive insect.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
In about 1995, during KY Fall ML season in mid October, I was on a rocky ridge that was covered with a shrub sized bush. I don't know what they are, but this one point is covered with them. I sat down to rest and listen for Bambi, and I noticed the bushes looked like they were moving. Upon looking closer, I realized that everything around me was covered with walking sticks. Up until that time I had only seen one here and there through the years, but this was like a movie.......everything was covered with the buggers. I just sat there and watched for a while after the heebee jeebees left me. I have never seen or heard about anything like that before or since. There had to be hundreds of thousands of them all in about a 150 x 75 yard area. My first thought was there has to be a scientist someplace studying these things that would totally nerd out seeing this.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Never seen a walking stick in the wild. Very cool. At USCG TraCen Yorktown, VA. we had praying mantises all over the place. We were told not to mess with them as they were a protected species. Not sure if that's actually true of not.

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I can't remember the last time I saw a walking stick out in the woods. I spend a lot of time outdoors, between yard work, a vegetable garden, cutting trees down for firewood, hiking, hunting, fishing, etc...

And why they attach themselves to my front door is another mystery all together. It's a metal door, too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts