Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my search for the perfect single shot gun I must admit I have been really stupid. I have never liked hard kicking guns. At one time I was quite a marksman and usually sighted all my buddies guns in for them. They always said its dead on, Gabby sighted it in for me. If I miss a deer you can have my shirt tail cause its just me not my gun. One of my friends had an older Savage 110 in 30-06. I have shot many 06's but man that thing was brutal especially with the 220 grain bullets he was destined to shoot. That's when I learned a lot about stock design and how much it mattered. Then one of my buddies started hand loading and showed me a whole new world for the 06. He loaded me some 130 grain Nosler Partition Boat tails for my Remington auto loader. It turned that thing into a 270 that I don't have any problems with. He said you know you can make this caliber duplicate just about anything under a 300 Win. mag. You can load 100 grain bullets and have a 243. 120 and you have a 25-06. 130 Gr. and you got a 270 and on and on. Any way I been thinking a lot about a Ruger No. 1 lately and only see used 06's and bigger calibers. I forgot my learnings. I think I need to heed my own advice, never turn down a 30-06.

Here's the point of my post. Does anyone have any pet loads to make this 7 1/2 pound gun feel like a 243, 257 Roberts or a 7X57. Does any one have some load data to share so I can tame the beast. I'm thinking some where around 257 Robert caliber to 7x57. I have always thought that a smaller bullet at slow velocities would give these results but what about a larger bullet with less velocity.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
So... That when you start getting into Cast bullets....
Try some of the classic cast bullet loads....
I really love the gas checked 311299 over 17 grains of 2400 powder as a starting point....
Kicks about like a 357 carbine or such....
Plenty accurate - it's the classic 200 yard cast target load....

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
One of my loads for the .30-06 was a 150 gr Sierra loaded over a relatively light charge of IMR-4064... Can't remember the exact charge weight (but 42.0 gr sticks in my head - - please verify and cross-reference that), but according to the books, it was a 2,500 to 2,600 fps load. I concocted this load for my son when he was 11-years old. The felt recoil was really gentle, and for accuracy, it was acceptable enough for deer. Take a look at some of the older manual where reduced loads weren't uncommon.

In the '06, the key to good lighter loads is to remember that it requires a faster powder. Depending on how much you want to lighten the loads, you may be looking at powders that are even slightly faster than the 4064 burn rate... Data for 3031 & 4895 reduced loads in the '06 should be easy enough to track down, especially in some of the older manuals.

Another thing to think about is consideration of the round nose or flat-point bullets for the .30-06 with reduced velocities... Those bullets perform very well on game down in the 2,400 to 2,600 fps neighborhood.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Why not just select a 130 grain bullet and load it to the minimum velocity in your book?
I could give you my load data but you might not have the powder or my bullet
selection and even if you don't per load might not shoot well in your gun.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
4064 and 4895 always seem to be accurate in the 30-06. When I wanted a lighter load in my 742 auto loader I went to 43grs of H4895 and a 165gr Rem Corlokt. I never Chronyed the load, but for stand hunting in the woods it is plenty out to 150yds.

Edit add....I just double checked a Speer manual and that is 1gr below the starting load and should be 2400fps.

·
Premium Member
12,139 Posts
Then one of my buddies started hand loading and showed me a whole new world for the 06. He loaded me some 130 grain Nosler Partition Boat tails for my Remington auto loader.
Though I truly like the .30-06, there is no such thing as a "130 grain Nosler Partition Boat tail" for a .30 caliber... You've got something else. Check Nosler's bullet line up. The Partitions are ALL flat base bullets. And you might have trouble coming up with a 130 grain .30 caliber Nosler as well.

I do like your thoughts that the .30-06 is a great cartridge, and that you prefer cartridges & rifles with less recoil. Absolutely.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody for the replies, I am having some difficulty's with my new computer. Its not allowing me to thank posts at all now. Please keep the recipes coming so I can build up a little cache of samples to give to my buddy who will load for me. Its been well over 25 years since we have set down at a bench together and worked up a load together. I talk with him about once a month now by phone. M700 sorry about the miss imformation on the Nosler bullet. I know it was his favorite bullet at the time to reload. All I really remember is that he said it was 130 grains and had a red tip. The Remington I had was a 30-06 Woodsmaster I think it was a 742 or something like that. I do remember it shot better than 1 inch at a hundred with that load and felt like a 30-30 recoil wise. I have been looking at Ruger NO. 1's and find there are plenty of used ones around in 06. I harvest several deer with the gun mostly 25 to under 100 yard shots. That round always produced DRT Kills. I wood appreciate any input from owners of Ruger NO 1's that have a 30-06 with pet loads. I use to have a Remington 243 autoloader. That was a sweet shooter but had several incidents with bullet deflection. Hitting swigs between me and the deer. I once passed on the biggest buck I have ever seen. He came in on me at 25 yards and bedded down almost under my stand in a blow down. I sat in the tree for over 2 hours until he got up and moved off. Funny thing is I also got lost that night so I was really late getting out of the woods that night, After midnight and require my Father having to drive 20 miles from his home to holler me out the woods. I sold that sucker shortly afterwards. My buddy killed the same deer 3 days later and had him mounted it was a heavy 9 pointer. The 243 has its place and I may have to go back to one to get what I really want. A stainless Ruger No 1 with Pepper Laminate stocks.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may be wrong but if my decrepit memory serves me right red tip use to be 30 cal., yellow tip 270 cal., and blue tip was 25 cal. Its been about 25 years so forgive me if I'M wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
I'm straining all my brain cells here....but Nosler made a bullet they called the Solid Base Boat Tail. It was not a partition bullet. It had a jacket that got heavier at the base and ended in a boat tail. I don't recall all the calibers and weights, but I used a 150gr in my '06. I might even have a few boxes left. Might be good as a two shooter in my .308MX. Hmmm....

·
Registered
931 Posts
Try 13.5 gr Red Dot and most any bullet up to 150 grains. Mild shooting but usually very accurate. It won't run my Remington Model Four reliably, or a Garand, but man in bolt guns and the like, or when just using those other guns as single shots, that load works. I used it in .270 with a 130gr bullet to cure a bad flinch in a friend. Her little Ruger 77 was kicking her ass with factory loads and equivalents. Went to 13.5 Red Dot/130gr bullet @1620fps. 140 gr bullet went 1550, and she could crank em out...she used to take, I swear five minutes to get a shot off, and would quit after three. It made shooting fun again

·
Registered
931 Posts
PS: Also works great in 30.06. I originally got that load from 30.06, after a long ago article in American Rifleman about The Magic Load. Sorry...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Anything tipped with a plastic point from Nosler, in the .308 caliber is green. I believe you have a Hornady, not Nosler. And I'm not sure they even tip the partition, or ever have. I've got some here that are 25 years or so old, and they aren't tipped.

I load one of my '06's with 61.5 grains of Reloader 19, underneath a 150 grain nosler Ballistic tip. Recoil is very mild. 243 mild. It flat knocks their socks off too. I load another with 61 grains of R19, under 165 grain Ballistic tip. It really knocks there socks off. If you stay below the 200 grain mark, the "06 is a mild kicker for sure.

I do have to agree with you though. The '06 is the best of the best. It can be made best in a lot of circumstances if you fickle with it. But, it is the best in all circumstances if your choices are limited. And tell your buddy, if you shot that 300 Win Mag in a 22 inch barrel, and stay 200 grains or under in bullet weight, there isn't much difference between that and the old "06. Not nearly enough for the game or average marksmen to notice anyways. It is a cheap, hammer head, accurate, DRT round and it just flat gets it done every time, in grand fashion, PERIOD. Best caliber ever invented by any one or any country. My goodness, talking about the 30/06 makes me proud to be an American. God Bless

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Less Recoil 30-06 is a short action 30-06 aka 308 win.

Reactions: MudMan

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
In my search for the perfect single shot gun I must admit I have been really stupid. I have never liked hard kicking guns. At one time I was quite a marksman and usually sighted all my buddies guns in for them. They always said its dead on, Gabby sighted it in for me. If I miss a deer you can have my shirt tail cause its just me not my gun. One of my friends had an older Savage 110 in 30-06. I have shot many 06's but man that thing was brutal especially with the 220 grain bullets he was destined to shoot. That's when I learned a lot about stock design and how much it mattered. Then one of my buddies started hand loading and showed me a whole new world for the 06. He loaded me some 130 grain Nosler Partition Boat tails for my Remington auto loader. It turned that thing into a 270 that I don't have any problems with. He said you know you can make this caliber duplicate just about anything under a 300 Win. mag. You can load 100 grain bullets and have a 243. 120 and you have a 25-06. 130 Gr. and you got a 270 and on and on. Any way I been thinking a lot about a Ruger No. 1 lately and only see used 06's and bigger calibers. I forgot my learnings. I think I need to heed my own advice, never turn down a 30-06.

Here's the point of my post. Does anyone have any pet loads to make this 7 1/2 pound gun feel like a 243, 257 Roberts or a 7X57. Does any one have some load data to share so I can tame the beast. I'm thinking some where around 257 Robert caliber to 7x57. I have always thought that a smaller bullet at slow velocities would give these results but what about a larger bullet with less velocity.
Gabby , I've had an 700 action 06 for over 50 years plus my M~1 Garand rifle . It is as you say ..... The most versatile caliber on the planet for anything , man or beast . Same go's for the .308 and 300 Win. Magnum , which all 3 use the same .308 thousands diam. bullet . Next to the ole 30~30 , the ole 30~06 has probably killed more animals and Men , than any other caliber on the planet . It does have the largest sale of loading die's on the planet . That 06 Has Brutal" recoil , that for sure , shooting the higher bullet weights , but your right" , if one has his own ammo loading equipment , he can load that thing up from a 110 Gr. bullet too Over 220 Gr . But if you reload your cases . more than any other rifle ...... You can Tame those sucker's Way down form factory loadings , and still keep the bullet speed up there respectably where a man want's it to be , by choosing a powder charge , from the wide verity you have to work with that caliber .

What I always done was to look for a powder that produces High speed on the bullet , but the lowest muzzle blast . Shooting those lighter bullets , you can load it on up there to the 300 Win. Mag. velocity's , or way down to a 30~30's velocity . I always like loading my ammo up to the highest speed , that didn't kick the hell out of my arm/shoulder , whether I was using a lighter bullet Or a heaver bullet . A 150 gr. too 165 gr. bullet is about the best all around bullet's a man can get for the thing to get you a pretty good kill and still not tear up to much meat at the same time . but you can shoot those two bullets from about 1800 to almost 3000 ft. per sec. depending on powder what powder you use , and still keep that brutal muzzle blast down .

Maybe you already know all that , maybe you don't .... I just though I'd throw all that in here with the discussion .....

Dave :tee:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Anything tipped with a plastic point from Nosler, in the .308 caliber is green. I believe you have a Hornady, not Nosler. And I'm not sure they even tip the partition, or ever have. I've got some here that are 25 years or so old, and they aren't tipped.

I load one of my '06's with 61.5 grains of Reloader 19, underneath a 150 grain nosler Ballistic tip. Recoil is very mild. 243 mild. It flat knocks their socks off too. I load another with 61 grains of R19, under 165 grain Ballistic tip. It really knocks there socks off. If you stay below the 200 grain mark, the "06 is a mild kicker for sure.

I do have to agree with you though. The '06 is the best of the best. It can be made best in a lot of circumstances if you fickle with it. But, it is the best in all circumstances if your choices are limited. And tell your buddy, if you shot that 300 Win Mag in a 22 inch barrel, and stay 200 grains or under in bullet weight, there isn't much difference between that and the old "06. Not nearly enough for the game or average marksmen to notice anyways. It is a cheap, hammer head, accurate, DRT round and it just flat gets it done every time, in grand fashion, PERIOD. Best caliber ever invented by any one or any country. My goodness, talking about the 30/06 makes me proud to be an American. God Bless
Well Said Brother" , I agree with ya 150 % , I've Always had my ole 700 action BDL in my gun safe , until my son decided He need it more than me , so I gave it to him and went out and bought my self a Brand New 700 /3006 / BDL Bolt gun . I also have a 742 / 06 BDL in that safe , I rescued out of a pawn shop a friend of mine runs , for $200 bucks cash , And I keep my ole Garand around incase we may have to go back into the battle grounds some day ....

Magnum6

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
He said you know you can make this caliber duplicate just about anything under a 300 Win. mag. You can load 100 grain bullets and have a 243. 120 and you have a 25-06. 130 Gr. and you got a 270 and on and on.
These are actually very poor comparisons. Just because bullet weight is the same, it doesn't mean they are comparable in sectional density, energy, or bullet construction.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
So... That when you start getting into Cast bullets....
Try some of the classic cast bullet loads....
I really love the gas checked 311299 over 17 grains of 2400 powder as a starting point....
Kicks about like a 357 carbine or such....
Plenty accurate - it's the classic 200 yard cast target load....

Thanks
And of course, Ed Harris "The Load", 13gr Red Dot:

The Load

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fellows my memory is all but gone. I couldn't believe I was so far off on my recollections. So I called my buddy this morning who loads for me. He told me the bullets he used where Nosler Ballistic tip and they do have some boat tail to it. They have the polymer tip in different colors for calibers. Yall where right they where green for 30. cal. He also told me at that time they only made a 130 gr. that was hollow point. The load he worked up for me was 150 gr. around 2850 fps. They cycled well in the Remington auto loader and shot betted than quarter inch groups at a hundred. Any way in my search for a Ruger No1 I figured I won't turn down a 30-06 and my buddy said don't turn down anything from 308 to 300 Win mag cause he can fix me up with a reduced load I will like.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Since recoil sensitivity is the issue I would go with a 308win as my first choice. At full power it is plenty good enough for deer/elk. The smaller case will really shine when you start developing reduced loads. Plus a lot of 308win rifles have a 1 in 12" twist as opposed to the 1 in 10" in the '06. The slower twist will be more cast bullet friendly. A modest charge of 4198 and a 180gr cast bullet will give you 30-30 power levels. And I've heard the 30-30 has killed a few deer in it's day.

Reactions: Sweetwater
1 - 20 of 34 Posts