Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A find at the gunshow today, but not something I'm real familar with so thought I'd ask. It's a Weaver 330 with a Stith type mount (no markings at all), supposedly for a Model 52 Winchester. Kind of neat with the dovetail mount on the front and a single screw into the mount for the rear.

Anyone know what this mount really fits? The scope is in nice shape, clear with crosshair still intact. Any history on this scope model?

I have $40 in the scope, did I get ripped or did I do good? And do I now have to go look for a Winchester Model 52? :shock: :D

max

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
You got took bad, but I'll help you out by giving you back your $40, just 'cause I like you! :wink:
That's an early model 330, with screw slots, rather than the later ones with knurled knobs. I don't see any engraved serial numbers, or US Property stamps, so it's a civilian. Still they are in great demand as collectables for military collectors who want to put together a '03 sniper rifle setup.
Most of these I see at gun shows, or at Ebay are going for around $100+ in that condition. The Stith mount is a nice one, and most likely for one of the 52 Sporters, as the front dovetail would indicate.
Weaver sold a lot of these from 1930-1947, and during WWII the first Weavers purchased by the Army were simply electric engraved with the US Property serial number. Later ordered scopes were actually stamped like all military scopes with the US Property stamp. These later scopes were also click adjustable in 1/4 minute adjustments.
Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Ya done very good at 40 bucks! Those mounts aren't often seen, esp in 3/4" dia. I can look up value on the mount... 40-85 bucks depending on condition.

Not sure on whether it was off a Win 52 or not- for the Sporting model, the factory rear was a Lyman 57 reciever peep. I have yet to see a 52 with a dovetail cut for the rear sight. What the 52's did use sometimes, was Unertl style scope blocks on the barrel for the target weight guns....

Nice on the glass- It's rare to see clear glass in a scope of that vintage...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys, it's always good to be on the plus side rather than the minus side.

mm93......I'm such a nice guy, just can't dump my "misfortune" on you, but thanks for the offer. :roll:

Doc....would like to know what the mount fits, it's kind of odd in that it either must have a screw that goes from the inside of the receiver out to tighten down the rear mount on the scope or it must have a separate piece that mounts to the receiver (like a receiver sight) and then this mounts to that piece. I am visualizing a "L" shaped piece that screws into the side of the receiver like a regular receiver sight and then has a screw that goes from the bridge over the receiver into this mount. Does that make any sense?

On the other hand, the scope sits pretty level when resting on the rear mount and dovetail mount so adding a piece on the back would slant it down towards the barrel. The rear mount is off center, it slants to the right. With the scope centered on the barrel, the rear mount would be off to the right of center on the rifle.

An interesting excercise, I will have to see if I can find an old catalog showing the various Stith mounts. But I don't even know if this is a Stith mount, no markings.

max

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
My best guess as to what Win rifle would be a model 75 Sporting ( oft times called a "poor man's" model 52 ), or a 69-A. Utilizing the elevator slide slot of receiver peeps for a ring base is not a new idea- it was done a bit by some mount makers in the earlier days when ocular bells were still relatively small in size. A ring base that utilizes the mount holes for a peep also makes sense to me. I'm no expert on Stith mounts, and couldn't say whether they marked theirs or not, because I don't know. I do know that a lot of the early popular mounts were at times imitated by others...

Looks like there's a couple of pieces here that make a little sense out of this mounting system....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Stith-P...ryZ52511QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have no connection to this auction. Link is for reference purposes!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Doc, the info is much appreciated. I'll keep an eye out for a Model 75 or 69-A rifle to compare. Something will surface eventually.

max

1 - 6 of 6 Posts