Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall hearing vendors often sell costume items such as spurs at the larger CAS meets and reasoned some of you gents may have an opinion for this. I walked downtown this morning for a haircut, & in the window of a seedy 2nd hand shoppe, was a well-used saddle & a pair of spurs. Since this is ranch country, there will probably be a market for the saddle. The spurs were nothing fancy and showed hard use.

Dark metal, worn & cracked straps. Chains looked OK. Rowels were of small diameter with rounded edges. Priced @ 30 bucks. Is there a potential for profit with these? SW

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I don't know about any profit potential, being from the East coast, but boy, I dated a girl in college that used spurs to.........well, maybe I shouldn't get into that right now.........Ribs are still sore........ :wink:

·
Registered
363 Posts
NEBrHogger, were there any kind of manufacturer's marks or stamps on the inside of the spurs?? Any silver mounting on them?

Spur collecting is, just as gun collecting, dependent on many things, especially the maker, the age, the scarcity, and the condition.

Mainly the only spurs of any real value are the older ones, going back to the turn of the past century, and before.

There were a number of makers, such as Crockett, Kelly, Garcia, Phillips & Gutierrez, Gutierrez (after splitting the partnership), and others. Probably a search on "spurs" on the Internet would give you a lot more info. There are a number of books out there on spur and bit collecting, if a person wanted to get into it.

Also, faking old spurs is something one has to be on the lookout for. Lots of crooks out there selling "old, rare" spurs.

By the way, if you run across a pair of spurs made by Phillips & Gutierrez for $30, jump on them right now! In good condition, a pair of P&G spurs will sell for at least $12,000.00. Same with their bits.

If the guy wants only $30, I doubt the pair would be "investment worthy," but if you just want something to snap on your boots for cowboy action shooting, they might work.

Good luck. L.W.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LW,

Thanks for the advice. I do not believe these to be fakes, as they show considerable wear. I grew up on a ranch, & they look like what my Dad wore in the 50s & 60s. I guess I had an image in my mind of some feedlot cowboy having gotten a different job and was needing to raise some cash. I'll wander in there after turkey day to look them over closer - I'll be working til then.

I saw at a recent gunshow, a knife maker had several pairs of fancy spurs for sale - he had made them himself, & prices were 300 and up! I never wore spurs - both the nags I used regularly behaved well enough that I felt it would literally hurt their feelings to be spurred. One thing that always cracks me up is to see bikers wearing spurs. I would not want to be them if they had a couple too many beers & got them tangled in the spokes! :shock: SW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts