Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a brother for my Ballard, But being a single parent I don't have the thousand or so for a original 32-40 marlin. So what Model\Make would be a good strong platform for a loaded to its potential 32-40. Is it possible? Thinkin long term project here. Sorry if this is the wrong place. marlinman93 you are right marlinitis is contagious. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
If I were building a project gun, I'd consider a 336 as a donor. There's a couple ways to go with it, depending on what look you want. If you don't care about the octagon barrel, then find a 336A rifle with 24" barrel in .30-30, and have it relined to .32-40. If you want an octagon barrel, then you might consider one of the Green Mountain classic tapered octagon blanks, fitted to the 336 receiver. This would be a bit more, but give you the classic look of the 1893, without the high cost.
I have a smith who can reline a 336 .30-30 to .32-40 reasonably, and that would be cheaper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, again. I suspected the 30-30 might be a good donor but was not sure.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
AllanD said:
Wouldn't it be easier to simply ream a 32W-spl chamber to 32-40 specs?

Or am I missing something?

AllanD
Aint the 32Win A fatter case than a 32/40?

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
The .32 Win Spl is a bottleneck case, while the .32-40 is a straight taper case. You can't make the .32-40 from the .32 Win Spl without setting the barrel back a lot, and cutting a new chamber.
Now if you didn't mind losing a couple inches of barrel, and paying to have the barrel rechambered, rethreaded, and headspaced, you could do it, but it would also be even costlier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts