Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year, first week of April, our osprey return to nest, fish, rear their fledglings and squabble with the eagles. I love watching the osprey, they're amazing flyers & their fishing success is incredible. I've been getting a few photos of them while walking my dog along the Columbia River. These shots are all in or very near Wenatchee, Washington:

I've been working on the in-flight photos. They're pretty easy to photograph on their nests, or perched elsewhere, but catching them in flight has been tougher for me.

Guy

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Great photo’s Guy. You are making big gains with your flight shots, they’re awesome.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Love seeing those ospreys.

We have them nesting on the navigational markers in Back Sound, behind Harkers Island, NC. Amazing how they get used to boat traffic coming close to their nests. I only wish they would eat some of the darn cormorants...

And we see the occasional bald eagle also.

·
Premium Member
11,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great pic's, Guy! Love the one of the Osprey carrying what looks like a log back to the nest.

Padraig
I'd like to get a good photo of one carrying a fish! The osprey always seem to turn the fish, or the stick, so that it has minimal wind resistance. Eagles don't bother, they're so strong, that whatever way the load is hanging seems fine with them.

I could tell this osprey had "something" with it, and was heading back to the nest. Perhaps next time I see the bird with something, it will be a fish!

Guy

·
Premium Member
11,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Years ago, fishing from a small boat in one of our local lakes with my young sons... We weren't catching anything...

An osprey zoomed down, snatched a fish maybe 20 yards from our boat and flew away!

My jaw dropped. The boys were kind of irritated that the bird could get fish, but we couldn't. Cool thing is, it's still a wonderful memory for them.

Guy

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Years ago, fishing from a small boat in one of our local lakes with my young sons... We weren't catching anything...

An osprey zoomed down, snatched a fish maybe 20 yards from our boat and flew away!

My jaw dropped. The boys were kind of irritated that the bird could get fish, but we couldn't. Cool thing is, it's still a wonderful memory for them.

Guy
That would be an amazing memory. Great pics as always and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Osprey are cool bird. I love watching them fly. The last few years here on Chautauqa Lake we have a few and the population seems to be growing. It surprises me how late they will be out hunting. We frequently see one while we have been watching the sunset and he continues long after it has set.

Padraig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts