Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Marlin 1889 with a pistol grip and checkering. The finish on the metal is so far gone that I can't tell whether the receiver was color cased or not. Can someone tell me if this rifle was all blued or had some color cased parts, and if so, which ones?

Also there is a gouge in the outside of the bolt. I'd appreciate any advice on fill welding it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Standard original finish on the 1889 was blue. As for the gouge, how deep is it? Is it shallow enough that it could be polished out? Otherwise, it may be cheaper to replace it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dodge I hadn't thought a replacement bolt would be available. I looked and Numrich has listed 38-40 and 44-40 bolts for $75, but mine's a 32-20. Do you know another source for a 32-20 bolt?

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
The 1889 was a blued receiver, mag tube, and barrel, but the lever, hammer, and crescent steel buttplate were casehardened color.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
ldorado said:
Also there is a gouge in the outside of the bolt. I'd appreciate any advice on fill welding it.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds to me like you may be contemplating a refinsh - I believe I'd just get someone to put a dab of weld in the gouge with a tig welder - and once smoothed back out, it will blue and be invisible (the repair that is, not the bolt :wink: )

Shum8

1 - 5 of 5 Posts