Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time again folks! This Sunday, 7:00 am to noon, is our monthly meeting. The topic this month is: "Pocket guns, and customs."
We'll have our usual displays, and items for sale, and of course lots of social time, and knowledgeable help with your collectable questions!
Can't think of anything better to do on a holiday weekend? Then come by and visit. Even if you're not looking for a new addition, it's still fun to hang out with like minded people!
See you there!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
MM93,
Thanks for the invite, but I live in PA and if I start driving now I don't think I'd make it. But I do have a question, there is a 1893 at a local store,mgf date 1894, heavy barrel, half mag, in 38-55. It looks to be about 80-85% over all, the price is $950+tax. Is this good, bad, or average.
Hope you have a great Turkey day, say Hi to Jack. :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In today's market a 85% 1893 with half mag, is fair priced at $950, providing it is all original, and truly 85%. It's tough to find any Marlin that old with 85% case colors, and that's the key. 85% bluing and wood is not so difficult to find, but most older guns with cased frames have little or no case colors left.
As for the "heavy barrel", that would be a very rare option! The standard 26" barrel measured .610" at the muzzle, while a heavy barrel measured .730" at the muzzle. If you go back to look at it, take a caliper and double check it. It's easy to mistake one for the other, as they are close in size.
The .38-55 is also a premium caliber, and generally more desireable with collectors for some reason. I guess it's the fad to look for the bigger bores.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Thanks for quick reply, I figured with your handle you'd be the one to ask.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just sold my 38-55 on auction. It was a 1893 Deluxe,made in 1894.Beautiful wood fore and aft with checkering of course.The barrel had been changed for one stating"special smokeless steel"so was not original in all respect..2/3rds magazine,28" barrel.Was very disapointed at $775. But that was 300 more than I had in it so SO so.What can I say.At the same auction,online, I sold a Martini Henry Mark I that I had paid $350 for three months earlier for $1928 so felt that over all did pretty well. Win some,lose some.That's the name of the game. The moral of the story,buy what you like,time will heal everything and will increase the dollar count by enough to ease your mind.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Gutshot!
I think I might want to sell my Martini Henry too, if they're getting that kind of money! Mine is a minty 1880 Martini, and a rare one built by Steyr! I've been offered $1500 for it, but I was holding out because I thought it was worth more! Did you sell your's on Auction Arms, or Gunbroker?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Val,it was on Gun Broker.Mine was an 1873 darn near mint.I think you would do good but doubt that you would beat the price of $1500.Worst thing about the auctions is the fact that the buyers can't handle the gun and really fall in love. Kinda like seeing a picture of a girl, looks fine as silk but until you hold her in your arms you can't tell for sure. The one I sold looked as good as it was but I'm sure the new owner was pleasantly surprised,at least he emailed me with high praise.Said I sold it too cheap.Of course he wasn't aware of my original price.
The best thing is that you can have a reserve.I hate bidding on a gun with a reserve unless it has been met. I'm not into playing games so always go without a reserve. Also the gun broker agreemant does not require a three day trial for return. As I said I don't play games,I sell to pay bills.No other reason. If you go,good luck. modoc,once gutshot...

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gutshot,
I was told by the person doing the offer that after years of searching for a Steyr built Martini Henry, he went to Austria looking for one, and the only one he found was in a museum, not for sale.
The problem with the auction is if the right two people see it, then it can go nuts, but if only one buyer wants it badly, it might go pretty cheap. Like you, I wont bid on guns with reserves, and I wouldn't put a reserve on a gun at auction. I think if it's good enough, it will bring what it deserves, and get more bidding without a reserve.

·
Registered
719 Posts
old things bring more........

Now, I am excited. I have a few guns that I have kept for years. But if the premise is correct....then the older the item, and original, the more I can get???
Well, I like my guns, so let's start with something else......hummm....here kitty kitty.....no wait not old enough, although complete and original!.....hey! my sister is old.....but wait, she might not be all original, and I AIN"T asking!....besides, someone might want they're money back on that model......
I have it! my mother-in-law! complete,old, all original( Bob said that's why they are devorced!) :wink: , and she's a good cook! should be able to clear the original amount of time i have invested in getting her to like me, plus, i'll throw in a extra..i'll drive her to the purchaser.....but like Gustshot sez....I ain't in this for games, once you've paid yer money, you got yer prize! NO REFUNDS!
there! now.......how to discribe her....

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She sounded perfect to me, BUT.... the wife says I can't have another girlfriend, so I guess you need to find some other trading stock!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the way, the show was outstanding! Record turnout last weekend, so I guess all the gun nuts had three days with their families and were ready to get away for the day!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts