Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dad has a handi rifle in .223 and its a great gun and i was thinking that it would be cool to customize a couple of these rifles as the are cheap compared to other actions and are a great value. However i was wondering what kind of options would be available if i wanted to build a non standard caliber that a factory barrel might not work for rechambering (such as a .218 bee).

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Just depends on how deep your pockets are, a rechamber will cost $75-$125 or so, a rebore with chamber work will run $300-$350, you can also have a stub done where chamber and underlug from a donor rifle or shotgun is threaded internally to accept a barrel, that will cost about the same as a rebore plus the donor parts cost. I have almost 50 H&Rs firearms, over 40 are rifles, almost all factory chambering ever made, plus a bunch of customs, 221 Fireball, 6x45, 260 Rem, 6.5x55, 30-30 Ackley, 270Ackley, 280 Improved, 338-06 A-Square, 35 Whelen Improved, 405 Win, 460S&W and 45-120. My gunsmith is Wayne York of Oregunsmithing.

Tim

www.oregunsmithingllc.com

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so is there enough room in the stub to thread a new barrel in. That ideal crossed my mind but i wasn't sure if there was enough metal in the chamber end of the barrel to bore it out and turn threads in it or if that would leave to thin of walls. I could do the machining myself so that would mean that it would just be the cost of the barrel, not factoring in a donor rifle.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
See Barrel Stubbing by trotterlg in the FAQs at the H&R Centerfire Rifle Forum at GBO in my signature line below. I would recommend the use of a centerfire rifle barrel as a donor stub for high pressure chamberings, shotgun and rimfire barrels are 1137 mild steel, centerfire rifle barrels are 4140 alloy.

Tim

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i was planning on using a rifle such as .223 or 308 for the donor stub as im guesing thats what will be most common around here. i read through that article but need to read it again to make sure i understand just how he is doing it before i ask any more questions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok reread that thread and it all makes sence and that seems like a good way to do and with the barrel nut it turns out attractive. My first thought was to bore out the stub and cut threads on the inside, then turn a barrel with a threaded shank the same length as the stub and strew it in. might have to see if i can find one of these cheap and mess with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts