Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently chose to buy a Glenfield 30 rather than a Marlin 336 of the same year sitting side by side at my LGS. I went in today to pay another $40 on the layaway on the model 30 and they brought it out for me to look at again.
To me the barrel on the model 30 seemed more tapered than the barrel on the 336. They are the same length and same year of manufacture. Of course the mag tube and sights are different on the two so it may just be an optical illusion.
The whole "feel" of the Glenfield was different (lighter, slimmer, and quicker) than the 336. I guess birch is lighter than walnut and shorter mag tube and no sight ramp is lighter, but the feeling was more than that.
Am I dreaming, hallucinating, or what? All I know is I am anxious to get it home and just see for myself.

Shotgun Tool Air gun
Auto part Cylinder Air gun

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
I'd make a guess and say optical illusion.

The mag tube and ramp likely adds to the effect.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just got hold of a Glenny just like the one you are getting. I love it. Just to see, I just measured the Glenny and another full-length mag Glenny of 84 vintage. Half-mag measured .640 and full-lgth. is .648 in.. I'm not sure the two you are looking at measure the same but I don't think my eyes could detect that slight difference in this situation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Birch weighs MORE than walnut.

·
Super Moderator
13,983 Posts
From what I can see they both look nice. I like the short mag tube and would have done the same as you. Glenfields are just as good for me as the Marlins birch and all. If the rifle is tight and the metal is right I will take a birch wood gun anytime.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
I recently chose to buy a Glenfield 30 rather than a Marlin 336 of the same year sitting side by side at my LGS. I went in today to pay another $40 on the layaway on the model 30 and they brought it out for me to look at again.
To me the barrel on the model 30 seemed more tapered than the barrel on the 336. They are the same length and same year of manufacture. Of course the mag tube and sights are different on the two so it may just be an optical illusion.
The whole "feel" of the Glenfield was different (lighter, slimmer, and quicker) than the 336. I guess birch is lighter than walnut and shorter mag tube and no sight ramp is lighter, but the feeling was more than that.
Am I dreaming, hallucinating, or what? All I know is I am anxious to get it home and just see for myself.

View attachment 103634 View attachment 103635
I just went and compared my two ... with a tape measure, and they are the same. I can put a set of calipers on it after dinner, but I think what you are seeing is just an optical illusion without the barrel band, tube and ramped and hooded front sight.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
"Birch weighs MORE than walnut."

Interesting....I just assumed the other way around. One of these days I'll have 2 side by side and slip off the stocks just to see how much.

Better yet I have a "little black book" that knows EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING.

The Book Says:
American Black Walnut is 38 lbs / cubic foot
Birch is 40-45 lbs / cubic foot.

Birch and Walnut both rated as HARD

Birch rated Very Good for split resistance
Walnut rated Good for split resistance

WOW

Also in "the Book"....in 1988 prices birch was $2.50 a board foot while walnut was $4.20 a board foot.

Conclusion.......Marlin only saved about 3-4 dollars per gun by using birch instead of walnut. Of course over a few million rifles I guess that did pay some corporate profits. It was OK with me.....I like the birch....not 'cause it's better, just 'cause it's different and can be quite pretty.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Never owned one but I would bet a dime to a cup of coffee it would be an optical illusion.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the old Billy Jack movies were mine I wouldn't have to be buying my Marlins by "layaway"!

Reactions: Golphin and T-Roy

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have a 30-30 full length magazine tube and a .35 Rem SC. The SC balances and feels much more like a good shotgun than a rifle to me. It's much more dynamic if that makes sense.

I'll side with the optical illusion too.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I brought the Glenfield home yesterday and tore it down. I miced the barrels and yes the 336 and Model 30 are both the same diameter. It was just an optical illusion. The birch stock has a really unusual almost holographic stripe to it.
It looks like someone bought the rifle years ago, shot it once or twice, and stuck it behind a door somewhere. It is literally like new inside, but it's rusted somewhat on the receiver and the lever. The barrel has only very minor rust spots.
I plan to do my best with the advice I've gotten here on rust removal to get off as much as possible.
After I see how that looks I will either touch it up with cold blue, try the Belgian Blue, or if I can find any info I might try to case color the receiver only as the barrel may turn out ok as is. If it turns out really bad then I'll go the bead blasting method.

Gun Airsoft gun Air gun Room Shooting sport
Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Air gun
Gun Revolver Shotgun Trigger Metal
Material property Paper

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Like the wood on tbe butt! I would not worry about reblueing till she and I had sent a bunch off bullets down range to see what she prefers. Once the rust is stopped, slight pitting is a non issue on a working carbine, for me. If ya want a beauty queen, be sure to take plenty of pics for us to follow along! DP

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
That sure is some pretty wood. I had a Glenn Field 30. I had the Birch but was very plain. I bought a scope and mounts for it the day I brought it home. There was a Hurricane that day. I can't remember the name. Just as I got the scope on the eye passed over, so I ran out and sighted it in. Wow that gun was a shooter. I harvest over 50 deer with it until My eldest son turned 18. I passed it on to him on his birthday. I love the looks of that short tube.

·
Registered
427 Posts
That is some nice looking birch there!

My 1976 Glenfield, that I bought new as my first gun purchase at the age of fifteen, is nowhere near that pretty.

I never liked the look of the birch, and a few years ago turned into a black rifle using truck bed liner.

I really like the way it looks now, but I would have never done that if it looked as good as yours.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.