Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1894 has peep sights from XS on it now. I'm thinking of adding a Reflex style or a Red Dot sight to it.
Does anyone have practical experience with either of these on an 1894 in 44 mag?
Is one or the other more accurate with detachable mounts?
Are there Brands or Models that aren't up to the shock the round will produce?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
MrDig, every man's eye is different, just like opinions. I've got a Skinner Peep on the rear of my 1894, and Williams fire-sight on the front. Certainly not traditional. I've seen people do a lot of different things on the 1894's, but never a reflex style sight. Don't think I'd like the look of it..................but as I said, every man's eye is different. Peep sights are so darned good...............why is it you are thinking of a reflex?

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Registered
390 Posts
It really does come down to how and what are going to use the gun for and personal preference. Each type of sight works well for certain conditions. And just to throw a monkey wrench in the works, might consider a scout scope as well. Are exceptionally fast to acquire you’re target. Course the only real answer is to have one of each style sight mounted on its own 44 ready to go !:flute: :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
There ya go............my point exactly. No two shooters are alike. That's why it's often fruitless to ask that kind of question...........and that's no "put-down" MrDig, because I've asked a ton of questions like that here on the forum myself before figuring out that opinions are just that, personal opinions. I've found it best to ask "which" and "why". More helpful in my quest in making those decisions.

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
If you are wondering what it might look like mounted, have a look at Skinners Mini Shot. It's not for me, but...
Mini Shot

·
Registered
133 Posts
I know a gentleman that placed a Bushnell HOLO sight on his .336

Swears by it for his 65 year old eyes. Pretty sure Turnbull makes a mount to fit into your rear sight slot to mount it.

Easy to take it on and off that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.