Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some time now, I have had some interest in a BLR take-down but felt the new ones were out of my budget potential and I rarely see used one's around. Now, there is one available at one of the LGS's. This is a stainless (looks bronze) .308 BLR LWT take-down. Wood (laminated) is nice and clean and there are a couple of minor surface blemishes on the receiver - not deep scratches but "rubs". The bore is clean and bright - no fouling - no damage to the muzzle crown. I like the scout scope potential as my senior vision and need to wear glasses appreciate the improved distance from the scope. I have heard stories/rumors (including) that BLR's can have accuracy issues, difficulties with scope mounts, and are finicky with feeding some cartridges depending on brand, or finicky with misfires if the lever isn't "slammed" home. I know realistically that not all of these so-called rumors are the rifle's problem. So I am reaching out to other BLR owners / hunters to get some feedback. Asking price is a firm $850. Thoughts? Feedback? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I have a BLR in 243, and while not as accurate as most bolt action rifles, it does well with Federal factory ammo, grouping around 1-1/2". I also bought a BLR in 308 at an outstanding price. When I finally got around to firing it. I found out why--the headspace was off--to dangerous levels. My only recommendation is to check the headspace before buying, if possible. If not, and you're buying from a shop, get their assurances that they will give you a refund if you find out that the headspace is off.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
The take down will be of recent production. Have used these rifles on and off for 30 some years, and the rifle has improved regarding triggers. Have two recent BLRs, a 308 and a 7mm WSM no mechanical problems and are light and fast the way a BLR is supposed to be. Triggers are much improved these days and well within the range of being acceptable. The 308 is as accurate as the average light weight bolt sporter, the 7mm is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. Over the years never had any problems with: scoping, ammo type, ammo feeding/fit or short stroking the action, miss fires etc. In fact, it is pretty much an ideal hunters rifle, in that it is dependable, fast, light, easy to carry and can be exceptionally accurate. The take downs are kinda pricey new, with the "rubs" $850 is asking top of market in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
About the slickest handling rifles around. No reliability issues with my 358 Win or 450 Marlin takedowns. Trigger takes some getting used to, almost like a 2 stage pull. Capable of good accuracy. Groups shown could probably be improved with some fine tuning.

·
Premium Member
10,930 Posts
Probably little help here, but I have one (had two) of the older '81' BLR's in 358win. Just love it. Wished I never let that other one go.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The take down will be of recent production. Have used these rifles on and off for 30 some years, and the rifle has improved regarding triggers. Have two recent BLRs, a 308 and a 7mm WSM no mechanical problems and are light and fast the way a BLR is supposed to be. Triggers are much improved these days and well within the range of being acceptable. The 308 is as accurate as the average light weight bolt sporter, the 7mm is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. Over the years never had any problems with: scoping, ammo type, ammo feeding/fit or short stroking the action, miss fires etc. In fact, it is pretty much an ideal hunters rifle, in that it is dependable, fast, light, easy to carry and can be exceptionally accurate. The take downs are kinda pricey new, with the "rubs" $850 is asking top of market in my opinion.
Good Feedback - Thanks! When I spoke about the "rubs" they actually looked look more like a couple of small sandpaper buffs - surface is not rough nor into the metal - to see them you have to look at it from a shallow angle - all that aside, I forgot to say there is a small scratch on the barrel where a careless screwdriver operator went astray-removing or mounting a scout scope base. I agree that they are on the high end price wise but then again - how often might one come along? Really needed the experience on use and you certainly have a positive report along with several others. I like the .308 and that might be the real tipping point with the scout scope option.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About the slickest handling rifles around. No reliability issues with my 358 Win or 450 Marlin takedowns. Trigger takes some getting used to, almost like a 2 stage pull. Capable of good accuracy. Groups shown could probably be improved with some fine tuning.

Slamfire - those are a couple of nice rifles! Thanks for the post. I like .35 calibers - maybe a .358 will fall into my hands some day for that once in a lifetime hunt!

Reactions: slamfire
1 - 8 of 8 Posts