Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I posted something similar a long time ago, maybe even in the original Marlin Talk. Even here they only go back so far, to where the sight was lost to computer gremlins. :roll:

What do you guys think of the Winchester 9422? I'm looking at a used one with a laminated stock (WinTuf). I already have a 1897 Texan, and since the 9422 has been put out of production, I either get it now or forget about it forever. Is it a desirable rifle? A keeper?

Last time I asked about the 1897, the 9422, and a BL-22. Got the Marlin.

What say you?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I have the pre XTR 94-22-M and am quite pleased with the accuracy and function. LOP is a little short- an extra 3/4" length butt-stock would not hurt at all. Otherwise, a slick little rifle- dependable and accurate. I don't know how good the laminate stocks are out of USRAC- I've never laid eyes on one...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Get it,, if you don't like it sell it ..

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've owned a couple over the years. Nothing wrong with them. I think you should get it if you like it and the price is right.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll go see it tomorrow. They're asking $250.00. It has a scope mounted which is no good and stripped screw heads on the mount. I'll take a good look at it to make sure nothing else s screwed up and check for damage to the original rear sight. I'll offer $200.00 and see what happens. I'm fairly short, so the short stock is actually a plus.

Thanks for the replies.

Luis

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it yesterday. Cleaned it up today. Was in a lot better condition than I first thought (my first look at it was more as an afterthought, as I had gone there to look at a different rifle). After cleaning it up it really does look almost un-fired and with excellent blue and wood. It just had so much oil and dust on it that it looked really crappy. From the bore all I'm getting is a yellowish substance out, (solidified oil?) but no powder residue. So if it had been fired, it was cleaned real well and then oiled and put away. What I can see of the bolt face, extractor, etc. is clean and shiny. The scope is a 4X-32mm RWS model 350, with the wide angle view. As you look through it the "screen" you see is wider than it is tall. it is not the brightest scope I've looked through, but it seems OK. The Weaver scope rings have rust on their steel upper halves, but the screws are OK. I also got a new soft carrying case with it. Paid $250.00 out the door. Model 9422 WinTuff, Serial # F706XXX. Anybody know how old it is? Where can I get exploded drawing/dis-assembly instructions.

Will try Winchester, of course.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No luck at e-gunparts. Ordered a manual from Winchester, but I may never get it, as they say they only mail them in the continental US. I filled the form anyway, just in case it squeaks by. If not, I'll have to find a buddy (hint, hint, I'm open to offers) in the continental US to order it for me (its free) and then mail it to me in Puerto Rico.

As for the price, well, it was in a lot better condition than I thought, they gave me the old "the other guy made a mistake when he told you that price, that is our cost..." crap. The other guy is never there again. Plus I got the case and the scope seems OK. Ok, OK, I wanted it! But guns in PR usually sell new for 20-25% over suggested retail in the US. We have the extra shipping, 6.6% excise tax and a gun registration (yes, we have gun registration) fee. Actually, recent laws have made it actually easier to, once you already have a permit, take the gun home with you. This last transaction took about an hour, which is by far the fastest I've ever managed to do it in. Somebody probably paid $600.00 for that gun not too long ago. I know I paid $655.00 for my Marlin 1897Texan NIB.

So, I just hope it shoots well. I'll get my 16 year old daughter shooting it. The heavy barrel 10/22 is just too heavy for her! How's that for a excuse, er, reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts