Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting in Rimfire section as I am seeking opinions about Heritage Arms Single Action .22LR / .22 mag and opinions of the Heritage vs Chiappa .22 Single Action revolver?

My LGS has some Heritage still in stock but has recently switched over to Chiappa - unfortunately neither pistol was in his display case but he has several in 'limited quantity' back in the warehouse - I could purchase one "on line" and pick it up at the store (This is NOT a Big Box Store but a local gun shop). I've seen and held the Heritage at his store and also at gun shows and have been smitten by the Look, balance and "feel" (and the price) of the 6" barrel models - I don't know anything about the Chiappa that he recommend today (other than he says it is better quality which of course he would say since he is shifting his stock and thus his sales pitch to that product)

Any opinions from those that have looked, held, owned, fired or just have an opinion of the manufacturer for quality and support or whatever for either brand are welcome and appreciated.

Not really interested in the Ruger SA or S&W or other "Big Brand" solely due to price of those - kinda out of my budget for plinking and personal protection (I know a .22 LR hollow point will do some damage and I figure a .22 mag by the wife's bedside might do even more).

Thanks -

Tar Heel

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
The Heritage, as you probably know from handling one, is somewhat crude in finish and not a highly refined machine. That said, my wife bought one because a few friends have one or more and were smitten with their function and feel at a price that was low risk.

My wife fell in love with the 3.5" (?) barrel model with two cylinders and a bird's head grip. It feels a lot like the grip on her S&W 642LS and I believe she thinks it is "cute". Sigh.

I had to do quite a bit of sight adjustment to get it to shoot to POA which is not an easy job with SAA type sights. My friends didn't have the sight issue so it is probably an infrequent issue but not a big one given the intended use. They do make models with adjustable sights ala Ruger Blackhawk, etc. which may be a wise investment. Not a lot more in price than the fixed sight models.

I don't have any experience with the Chiappa model.

Reactions: Tar_Heel 336

·
Registered
568 Posts
to me the Chiappa single actions just had a cheap feel to them, but I have no range time with them either. I've handle the Heritage revolvers and originally was turned off by the external safety, but after looking them over really good they seem like a decent gun for the money and around here you can get one for around $175 and up. I've always wanted a Ruger Single Six, but I might just give the Heritage a try.

On a side note, a buddy of mine picked up a Uberti Cattleman in .22lr and that is a really nice single action. He got the 12 shot model and it has a fullsize frame(not small like the Ruger and other .22 revolvers)and is very well made. Only problem is it was around $400 so it's not cheap.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
When I was looking for a 22 Cowboy type Revolver, I checked out all of the possibilities. In the end, I went with the Heritage. The Fit and Finish on mine is excellent. Although I haven't shot it a whole lot, so far I have no complaints with the accurracy. I went with the 6 1/2 Inch Barrel and the Cocobolo Grips and I am all around very satisfied with it.

US Made to boot.

Bill

·
Registered
726 Posts
Here my local gun shop carry's the heertiage for $139 as the .22 model with the .22 magunm option it goes up to around $180. I have known people with the full size calibers not .22 that really like them. My Grandfather has a Chippa 1911 .22 and he says it not very relible. I would opt for a Ruger .22 or Hertiage first for single actions and doubleactions a Ruger or S&W but thats me and my thoughts

·
Registered
559 Posts
I could have bought a Heritage for $125 and passed it up. Still beating myself over that one. It is not the best gun out there, but it works. It just works and it looks authentic. Not first class piece of work, but it is passable and it works.

The only Chiappa I have seen on the range belonged to a friend. I watched him shoot it, listened to him swear at it, and then heard him explaining about the the gunsmithing he would have to do to make that thing work. I decided I did not want to own a Chiappa.

YMMV.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
I never owned a chiappa but have several heritages. They're ok for cheap plinkers. I've never had one malfunction or break but have heard of others having minor issues. The last 2 I bought were the 4 3/4" barrels for practice spinning or twirling. And to practice shooting with my secondary hand while using my primary hand at the same time.
I would NOT recommend a cimmarron plinkerton. Absolute junk. My wife bought me one and I wouldn't even fire it. Sold it as soon as I found a buyer. They had some kind of cheap looking liners in the cylinder that just looked cheaply built. Not to mention all the negative reviews I read about them.
I can tell you if you're wanting to spin or do any other "trick shooting" the heritage is excellent for that. Not only are they single actions but have a safety block between the hammer and firing pin. So no chance of a accidental discharge if you drop them. And they are heavy enough to work with until you decide to move up in calibers and size.
If you're wanting a target pistol, I'd go with something with adjustable sights. But you mentioned not wanting a ruger. (My first choices for a target single action .22 revolver.) The only adjustment on a heritage is to bend the front blade sight. Just be gentle. Lol
Maybe somebody here can give you some insight on the chiappa's.
Good luck and happy plinking.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
The Heritage at my LGS is $119.Also read somewhere that the Chiappa has a tracking chip in them?

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
Had a Heritage 22 Convertible. Great gun with no complaints. The finish on the receiver is some kind of paint. It easily scratches and wears but that is about it. You have to remember what you are paying for the gun and expect the performance to meet that price. If you cannot afford a Ruger Single Six, I would recommend the Heritage. The Chiappa is something I would stay away from. I have seen and held their other guns and I was not impressed at all with the cheap materials they used. Looked and felt like pot metal.

James

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2cents - I recently sold my Heritage , it was only 5 months old to help fund my purchase of my new Marlin Xt22TSR. I had to replace a broken hammer spring after shooting a few cylinders of mag. Not a big deal as the part was cheap and pretty easy to install. All total I ran about 200 rounds of LR and about 60 rounds of mag. It always shot a bit to the left - and was getting ready to work on the front sight issue, when changed mind and decided to pickup the XT. I sold it with 100 rounds of 22mag and 100 rounds of 22LR for $190. I bought it in Jan for $200. Not a bad deal. I was hoping I would get into the slower pace of shooting a SA revolver , but its not for me at this point in my shooting hobby. Maybe I will go for a bigger caliber in the future and try again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts