Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Opinions- SDG , SDT, STP

9K views 46 replies 14 participants last post by  DOGMAN 
#1 ·
Of the three most recent 1895 trapper offerings by Marlin which one do you prefer and why?
SDG
SDT
STP

All in 45/70......

#3 ·
Things to consider that may make the decision for you...

The SDT has been long gone "new from dealer" so the going price is over $900 (unless you are lucky).
It has the 16" barrel and straight stock that is VERY desirable to many wiht only 500 available.

The STP has the same desire that the SDT has in that it is a 16" barrel but pleases the pistol grip crowd. Not sure if still available "new from dealer" but if not expect to pay over $800.

The SDG in my opinion is the least desirable because it is basically a 1895gs with Laminate and Pistol Grip.
The price for this pakage does not seem to make sense when there are so.... many 1895gs rifles out there usually can be had for $500 to $550 GENTLY used. (you need to be patient). Then if the pistol grip is what you desire there will be people knoking at your door to do the swap for that straight grip.

#5 ·
I really couldn't care less about the pistol or straight grip. The STP was what I was able to get when they were available and I can't find a thing wrong with it. It shoots dead accurate, allows me to handle the recoil well, and is quick to aim in close quarters.

#6 ·
If I were to be in the market for one of those.....and I'm not.......I already have the ultimate .45/70 (1895GS)..... it would be the SDT..... I like straight stock rifles myself.....and I'm pretty sure the SDT was made by Marlin in CT........not sure about the other 2 models......I don't keep a good track record of the non catalogued Marlins.

#7 ·
I prefer the PG stocks, and really like the looks and capacity of the full length mag tube.
So the STP, mine was built in New Haven, is the only choice for me.

Jim

#8 ·
Decisions, decisions, decisions. I like them all but I guess if you put one of those guns to my head, I would probably pick the PG. My reasons are the same as the Evil One.

#16 ·
I know I am probably in the minority. But SDG is fine with me! SDG (shoots darn good)!
I picked this one up for $575 LNIB- FTF no FFL or tax with a box of shells thrown in for $575.
Action was a little stiff at first, but with lots of fondling, she has loosened up quite a bit!

#19 ·
DOGMAN said:
So the SDG is just a glorified Guide gun. Right ?
More or less, but with a pistol grip gray lam stock.
I'm not sure if the barrel is 18.5" or 16.25"??

#22 ·
Fist time I pulled the trigger bulls eye at 50 meters!

Went down hill from there though. I fired a couple of rounds of LE then switched to the box of shells that came with the SDG and they were shooting high. A lot less kick than the Hornady's.

Wind has been blowing like crazy every time I want to go to the range but maybe today. Yesterday it was gusts to 60 mph for several hours.

I think I am going to have to scope it. At fifty the sights work well for me as I can take my glasses off but past that things get blurry.

#23 ·
Here are the specs for the SDG. I think the difference between this and the GS- Fire sights-Pistol Grip-Laminated Stock-Deluxe Recoil pad.
This pad does look different than the one on the GS. I sure was surprised on the lack of recoil with the LE rounds. Of course the special serial number also but i don't think that will make it shoot any better!

Specs:
BRAND: Marlin
MODEL: 1895 Guide Gun Type Limited 1 of 501 SAFETY: Hammer Block Safety
TYPE: Rifle SIGHTS: Hi-Viz Front And Rear
CALIBER: 45-70 BARREL LENGTH: 18.5"
FINISH: Stainless Steel OVERALL LENGTH: 37"
ACTION: Lever Action WEIGHT: 7 lbs
STOCK: Black/Gray Laminated & Pistol Grip Stock PACKAGING: Cardboard Box, Cable Lock
CAPACITY: 4+1 FEATURES: Davidson's Exclusive, Limited Edition 1 of 501
CHOKES: FEATURES: Special S/N #95SDG000-500
CHAMBER: BUTT PLATE: Deluxe Recoil Pad
MUZZLE: RECEIVER: Stainless Steel, Drilled and Tapped

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.