Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to get their hands on any of these? I'm considering the GSO 5.1 in CPM-3V, the reviews on them are all positive but I'd like to know if anyone has hands-on experience with one of any size? Are they worth the price? I want to buy a general purpose knife that will take a ton of abuse and last several years, and it looks like one of these might just fit the bill.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
ESEE-6 , or ESEE-4 are TOP Notch knives and don't break the bank...

That's what I always recommend for survival knives when not a custom... The 6 is one of my favorites... GREAT Warranty too...:congrats:

Check'em Out for yourself!!! :tee:

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
920 Posts
A survival is the fix blade I have on me at the time as long as it is a good fixed blade it will serve the purpose is my thoughts. Widow

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Buy a Marine Corp survival knife and save some bucks. It will last you a lifetime and can be bought for around $49.00

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
A survival is the fix blade I have on me at the time as long as it is a good fixed blade it will serve the purpose is my thoughts. Widow
Yep, I Agree.... :congrats:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Not familiar with the knife you listed, it is a bit on the pricey side for myself. I had an Esee 4 for years, held up great and was a tuff knife. I am about to order a Esee 3 as i thought the 4 was a bit bigger then i wanted for my use. The Becker knives are a good deal as well. I as well have a Ontario rat 5 in my bob bag in my truck.

·
Registered
708 Posts
What exactly do you mean by survival? I'd get a little used old Western or some similar good old brand that can be had at a fraction of the cost of some of the new "survival" knives in a size that is good and usable, not too big and not too little, a good pocket knife, and a small axe. That would cover your bases and each would be much better at their intended uses than a one knife for everything kind of proposition.

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
Yeah I've never quite understood what a "survival" knife meant.
They pack easy and you should have several for different tasks.
I have my pocket knives, belt hunters and a couple of larger "camp" knives.
They all serve different purposes.

Reactions: njcioffi

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Its prudent to carry two blades, because any one wont do the job.

Cody Lundin has carried the same Mora 511 for over 10 years. One of the best neck knives you can buy for under $15. Everyone needs a Mora, I have 6 of them.
Then you need a chopper, I use my hawk, or bowie, both cost big bucks.
My lil Sis, uses the last knife I had in the military for search and rescue, its a Ontario Raider Bowie.
I retired in 92, and she has had it since about 96, when I bought my high priced replacements.

·
Banned
869 Posts
I've been doing quite a bit of research on this lately myself. Here are a few options that often come highly rated. I can't decide myself... too many options.... Trying to find that one knife that can do basically everything well is challenging.

- Becker BK2
- Becker BK7
- Esee 4, 5, & 6's
- Cold Steel SRK
- Mora Bushcraft
- The old fashioned Ka-bar military knife
- Buck 119
- Ontario Blackbird SK5

·
Registered
769 Posts
If it is not in a Survival Pack it should be more than a knife. It should contain at least a fire starting item and compass. A fishing line is also helpful. I lug a SP with me anytime I am out in the woods. Ya just never know what can happen.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You can't have a conversation on survival knives and not mention the BuckMaster 184. Mine mostly resides under my mattress but if I was alone in the wilderness I would take some comfort in having by my side.

BuckMaster.jpg

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
I've been doing quite a bit of research on this lately myself. Here are a few options that often come highly rated. I can't decide myself... too many options.... Trying to find that one knife that can do basically everything well is challenging.

- Becker BK2
- Becker BK7
- Esee 4, 5, & 6's
- Cold Steel SRK
- Mora Bushcraft
- The old fashioned Ka-bar military knife
- Buck 119
- Ontario Blackbird SK5
Take out the ones that are stainless and made in China, and your list will go down to only a couple.
Im sold on Mora knivs, so Im bias
Tho the Beckers are killer knives, a lot of my friends carry Becker 7 or 9 and a mora

RHP: I carried a first gen 184 Buck Master for most of my later military days. If you have nothing else, a hollow handled knife will do. The saw blades on the back need to be ground round, or they hang up on everything. If it enters flesh, and is pulled out, it brings the insides outside, very messy.

·
Banned
36 Posts
I use the Buck 119 Special Hunter, good solid blade, holds a good edge. I've used it to break down plenty of hogs, wild cattle too! It's big enough to stick a hog if needed, but not too big and unwieldy to use for dressing out meat tasks and skinning.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I like the KA-BAR Becker BK-7 personally for overall fixed survival/utility/fighting knife...just an awesome balance to that knife and very tough. the Bk-7 surprised me, I knew it has received high praise and great reviews from many ppl and I expected it to be a decent knife but when I pulled it out and felt that balance in it I was blown away, LOVE the blade shape and just so perfect not too big or too small and thick enough but not too thick, long enough but not too long or short, super comfortable handle etc etc. Made in the US and worth twice as much as it costs, truly a great value. A great knife.
Funny thing about this video on the knife is that I have the other knife as well that he mentions the Cold Steel SRK Carbon V Made in the USA (new ones are made in china) and even though that is also a very nice knife I much prefer the BK 7 over it.
Oh and Mora knives are a given, being a Swede I grew up with them and I stash them everywhere, they are so cheap and of such high quality that I put one in every bag or compartment where I could possible ever need a knife, one in every bag i own, one in the car, inside butt stock of savage 93 :) couple in the toolbox etc etc...but they are not what I would call a dedicated survival do it all knife you split wood, kill bears :) etc etc with.

There's an old saying we have in Scandinavia that I live by that goes something like: Knifeless man is lifeless man, therefore I ALWAYS carry at least a large lock back folder AND a multi tool of some sort, usually a Leatherman or a Swiss Army knife.

Funny thing about this video on the knife is that I have the other knife as well that he mentions the Cold Steel SRK Carbon V Made in the USA (new ones are made in china) and even though that is also a very nice knife I much prefer the BK 7 over it.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I love knives and have several, but the one strapped to the pack is an M-9 bayonet. Several companies made them, but mine is one of the few made by Buck for the Marines. All were deployed to the sandbox. The base knife isn't all that expensive and fills the bill for a strong multi-purpose knife.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Looked at a picture of the knife you are talking about. I feel it has too much belly on it. I like a thinner blade myself. I carry a fixed blade and a pocket knife with me most of the time. I was taught that a survival knife is one you have with you when you need to survive. I feel you could do better with picking a knife for a lot less money too. I'm guessing here without knowing you or your situation but look at the Buck knives. They have a lot of different sizes and the steel now a days is easier to sharpen than it use to be. The two that I use most . E.H.Brown Model #3 Knife.jpg Old Model Blackhawk and Model 1 Randall Made.jpg

Reactions: Geoffo
1 - 20 of 25 Posts