Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of trading in my old Landcruiser for a 2004 F-250 with the turbo diesel six. I have heard that they are bad for front ends, can anyone tell me what's the good and the bad about these things. Another thing that worries me is the fact it's done around 175,000 miles, how many Miles is this engine/driveline capable of realisticly before trouble is to be expected?
Thanks in advance for any help,
Aussie.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
The Cruiser is a hard act to follow. How much do they want for the Ford Shane?

Mark.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Cruiser has done around 230000K's Mark, less than the F250 but our new child seat laws make it hard to legaly carry the kids around (the F-truck has the bench seat behind the front seats with the 2 little suicide doors whatever that's called). Wish I'd never seen the damn thing because apart from the K's this thing has done it looks like it just rolled off the factory floor but be stuffed if I am going to outlay a fistfull of bucks on something that is likely going to give me headaches right from the word go. He says he wants around 30K for it, has a 9 foot long steel tray on it, interior is immaculate, the K's it's done is the worry. Only just had new bearings put in the Cruisers box which set me back 3 grand but apart from that the entire drivetrain runs like a Swiss watch. Drive one of the new v8 Cruisers as a spray unit in my other job and am not a fan. Small utes (Hilux,Navara etc.) seem to be the go around here for Cray fisherman and Tradies but I am sure I would kill one in short time on my place and their resale value is rubbish compared to the initial outlay.
Changing over vehicles annoys me, haven't exactly got money falling out of my a$$ and don't want to do something I am going to regret when I am driving around in a pretty rock solid bus now ???

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
G'day mate. I think I know where you're at. We've bought a few new vehicles (Subarus) over the years and have made a decision not to buy new again. The one we have now was was 2 years old with 49k on the clock and 12k less then new, that's a big saving.

I drive a 2005 Ford Explorer (top of the range) around the state chauffeuring well healed tourists, and I reckon It's a POS. I know it's a different animal to the one you're looking at but I reckon for the man on the land you should stick with Toyota. My opinion for what it's worth.

Mark.

P.S. Mr Fishy Tritons are very popular here.(for good reason).

·
Registered
67 Posts
2004 F-250 with the turbo diesel six........correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Ford used a 6 cyl diesel.....Dodge had a Cummins straight 6 diesel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I believe he means 6.0L V8 turbo diesel. If so, avoid it like the plague. Google 6.0 egr and you will see why. There are current lawsuits against IC for this engine. The main problem is that the engine was put in vehicles before it was ready, in order to meet new emissions requirements. Of course, you could buy it and when the egr cooler ruptures, you could have someone to install one of the egr delete kits. We work on these things in buses all the time, so I thought it would be fair to forewarn you. If you are dead set on F250, look for an older model with the 7.3 powerstroke, as they were very dependable engines from 99-03. Good luck.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I agree no one here likes the 6.0 .. the 7.3 is better .. I have never heard of front end issues with the 250..

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
The P-stroke 6.0 in that application had issues with the heads and headgaskets. They got traded in real quick around here, might want to keep looking, a couple years older, or newer to stay away from the 6.0.

As for the front end, if it's 4 wheel drive, it seems like they all seem to have ball joint issues after a while, I had to replace them on an '00 at just 75000 miles. Odd, I have an '86 with just about 380,000, and never have replaced them. Love the OLD fords!

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
+1 on the 6.0L IC in the Ford.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This one has a 4.2L Turbo six Diesel, the 7.3 would be better but the prices they want for them over here are ridiculous. It's not an option where I live to have anything but a 4x4!

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Yup, avoid the 6.0 like the plague. The 7.3 is solid, the later 6.4 is decent.

Ford DOES run Cummins and other diesel powerplants in other countries.

As for the axle, the Ford Twin I-Beam in both 2 and 4wd is pretty notorious for chewing up tires. It's an incredibly rugged system, so you accept the tradeoff. I believe they've changed away from this, but not sure WHEN they did.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I traded in a 1997 Toyota 4-Runner with 219,000 miles for a 2007 and it still ran like new!

Of course like any vehicle you have to replace Tires, Battery, Brakes and Exaust occasionally.

I NEVER had any problems with the vehicles Major systems like Drive Trane, 4 x 4, Tranny, Engine, Steering, Ignition, etc. At 100,000 I had the Timing Belt and Water Pump replaced (preventative Maintenance) then at 160,000 an overhaul to replace the Brake lines, Alternator, Fuel Filter's, Plug's, Universal's and Shock's.

After experiencing such bullet proof reliability I think it would be tough to switch over to another 4 x 4 SUV.

The Toyota Land Crusier, 4-Runner and FJ Crusier are still MFG in Japan.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well have bit the bullet, about to head up North and pick up an F truck. This one is a standard cab 2004 7.3 with 170,000k's on it.
Looks in good shape but time will tell(have to drive the thing 1700 Km's to get it home)

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Congrats! Here in the NorAm, Ford went with the crap-tastic 6.0 in late 2003 and 2004. Glad they kept the 7.3 down under.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
My step dad just got rid of his f250. Everytime something needed to be fixed it would be a minimum of a $1000 USD. I forgot what broke the last time but it cost $2700. He traded it for a new f150. They are expensive to fix when they break down.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update, have done about 10'000 K's in the F-truck with no issues. Has one of these super chips that I'm still stuffing around with but then again I never expected 30MPG out of the thing. My biggest gripe is the ride it gives in the paddock, bloody woeful!! Bouncy and floaty doesn't do it for me I'm afraid, does anyone know what can be done to give the thing a firm yet plush ride or am I asking the impossible:hmmmm:

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Glad you found one with a 7.3. Post some pics.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
you could try aftermarket springs and shocks .. like for a kit Rancho ect.. not sure if you can get them down under .. Crawl Works , Rancho, SuperLift .. try searching them

1 - 19 of 19 Posts