Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first .45-70 and would like to use it for Elk hunting in Colorado this year. I am curious what people like to use in terms of bullets and loads? Do you prefer HC or JSP? If you have to buy factory ammo, which do you prefer?

TIA

·
Registered
953 Posts
I just got my 45-70 alittle while ago and just found my plinking load of a Lee 405gr hard cast with 13gr of Unique, Starline brass and CCI primers. I'm still working on my big game hunting load for this year. I have settled on the same hard cast Lee 405gr with H322 powder, CCI primers and Starline brass. Just waiting for the wind to stop to try it out.

Key

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
here in Utah, I know several folks who like the Hornady 350 round nose going around 1900 fps. I think in factory loads, one could do worse than the Hornady LE 325, or use the Federal 300 ( Hot Cor or Fusion) I am sure the plain ol Remington 405 factory has worked a gazillion times also.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
40-45 Grains Reloader 7 is an accurate load in every Marlin 45/70 I own.
400 grain RCBS gas checked, hardcast to 15+ or cast soft (50-50 WW PB) and heat treated to 20+.
Bullets hold together and penetrate into next week, withstand higher velocity and with a shoulder shot inside of 100 yards, ....DRT

Load, shoot, practice. Be able to place your shot. KNOW where the impact point is before the trigger is pulled.

Be sure to shoot it next to a road, up hill, and under a tree.... makes packing out a LOT easier...
Location, location, location... :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for this... there seems to be a couple of schools of thoughts... smaller bullets around the 300ish range and then others who seem inclined to go for 420 gr bullets. Some like expansion and then others seem to like for it to just punch a hole through with the size of the bullet being big enough without worrying about expansion.

I'm leaning towards 405gr hard cast bullets at 1800fps, but would appreciate any further opinions.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Much of it depends on your intention. If you hope to take a shot up to 250 yards or so, I'd be looking for 350gr. bullet. The hard cast will certainly kill well (I used a 405gr self cast on my elk), but with a big flat meplat, they may not have all that great of a longer distance accuracy. The smaller 300gr. bullets need to be well constructed and perhaps be limited to the premium bullets. (at least SPeer 300gr). Many elk have been killed with all varieties. Shoot what you shoot best. Some will insist on premium bullets, but it isn't necessary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts