Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently got a family Model 60 (22" barrel ~1978 serial) recently that needs some work done to it:
• The barrel is is heavy need of bead blast and rebluing.
• The aluminum receiver needs repainted/coated.
• The aluminum/steel? trigger guard needs repainted/blued.
• The magazine tube needs to be repainted.
• The stock could really used a strip and reseal. I would most likely use linseed oil finish.

It has the following mechanical parts that really should be replaced:
• Buffer (still using stock buffer)
• It has the two part feed throat that doesn't seem to be spreading, but for "future proofing" it'd be better just to upgrade to the new single body style. The feed throat conversion shouldn't be too bad, the rifle has the newer style breech bolt that has the 90 degree edge to it (but not the relief cut near the tip of the firing pin or the front notches for the LSHO), so no need to add the bevel along the top of the new feed throat.
• Ejector lifter spring (part of feed throat conversion)
• Cartridge lifter (part of feed throat conversion)
• Firing pin (rifle has had a history since I've used it of light strikes on the primer that result in FTF).
• Recoil spring (optional, to help with the light strikes)
• Hammer spring (optional, to help with the light strikes)

The parts all come to around ~$80 if I order some from MidwayUSA from what they have in stock and Brownells from what I can't get from Midway.
I'm having problems sticking to just those parts. I keep going back to justifying buying the whole new side plate assembly from Brownells for $90 since it has most of the parts I'd like to replace besides for the firing pin and the recoil spring.

I'd like to keep the gun as stock as possible since it's a family gun, but then I'm thinking that if I get the new side plate assembly it'd add the LSHO functionality to the rifle and it might be worth it to do that... But if I keep the LSHO parts in the side plate, I'd have to modify the stock to have a gap for the LSHO lever, modify the trigger guard, and have the newer breech bolt that works with LSHO. Add the cost of the new breech bolt assembly with the new recoil spring and I'm looking at around ~$150 in parts...

Then I'm think that at ~$150 in parts, I can just buy a new Model 60 and strip the parts I need from that and have spare parts from the leftovers for only $30 more than the $150 in parts.

This is my problem... I just keep on going over each option that I have and I always seem to be back to spending more than planned on parts, but can easily justify it and afford it. You have this rifle as a family "heirloom" and I don't want to fully restore it like new, but would like to make it presentable again with some character while fixing the mechanical parts to tune it up. I also really want to replace the two-part feed throat since I know it will only be trouble in the future.
I have the money to do all the repairs that I've suggested, but I'm thrifty and see the benefit in buying just the parts I need. The other rational chimes in that when you're already spending that much, you can just buy all the new parts or even a new rifle to strip them from.

I'm wondering what others would do in this situation. How much should I really change if I want it to stay kinda stock-ish? I'm thinking too much about this and would appreciate input.

·
Registered
11,592 Posts
PM rjtmac he can tell you about he is a wizard on redo's...

Reactions: Tsb3

·
Registered
373 Posts
^^^^^ This. I thought that I was the only one who thinks that way, about all the possible scenarios. Me personally, I would not bother changing the feed throat if it's tight and functions properly. Yes refinish the stock, barrel, action etc.. It will probably look better then new. And yes change the buffer.
Oh and Welcome to the addiction!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners! As other has said above. Just look through the Model 60 rebuilds (over a dozen) that rjtmac has done.

Both rjtmac and ArrowDodger can offer plenty of advice on the mechanicals, but only you can really answer your tolerance of cost/benefit regarding what level of replacement you want. My opinion is just take care of the light strikes and maybe the buffer, then go out and enjoy the thing. If something goes wrong later, it's pretty easy to take apart and upgrade later. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick input. I'll do a more in-depth search now that I'm logged in. Has anyone in the forum ever bought a new Marlin just to strip parts from it for a restore? I haven't considered a used gun to strip parts from since I wouldn't know the wear on them, but the thought did cross my mind just now.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I just simply sent my Marlin actions to Arrowdoger.
Rebuilt three of the older glenfields.
Also had him tune-up a few newer style Marlin 60s..
Well worth it to me.
They shoot sooooo much better.
One of my all time favorite is a 71 Squirrelly.
Glenfield that arrowdoger tuned up.
And a dip Trigger guard housing.
Shoots lights out, with a great Trigger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.