Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this about two or three years ago and now find myself needing another camp axe/hatchet. The other one was borrowed and lost so this one will "not" be loaned out. I have had a few in the past and the one's around 14" long seem to work best for me. This is the one I am considering and it sells for about $35.00 locally ... Estwing Leather Sportsman's Axe .

What do you all use/recommend/prefer? My next trek into the mountains is in about three weeks with family staying in a yurt. The cost of the yurt includes firewood so on this trip, the primary use will be to split kindling for cooking on a wood stove.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Here's mine, its a Gransfors Bruks , their a little pricey but I think worth the money. I plan on leaving to my Son and hopefully he will pass it on to my Grandson if one comes along. Splitting maul Antique tool Dane axe Tomahawk Hatchet

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
I think it would be hard to beat the old Eastwing steel handle axes with the leather washer handles
I have one that has been on over 30 years of camping/hunting/fishing trips and it has served me well
IMO you have made a fine selection that will be hard to beat at any price

·
Registered
395 Posts
husky 460 XP LOL
over the yrs I have tried a bunch of smaller ax's and I think most decent one's are priced about the same, and what matters more is how it feels to you
like a hand gun, better it fells in your hand more it will get used, and better you will use it
name of the game is keep it sharp

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Plus one on the Granfors mine lives in my truck 24/7 365. Worth every penny.

Here's mine, its a Gransfors Bruks , their a little pricey but I think worth the money. I plan on leaving to my Son and hopefully he will pass it on to my Grandson if one comes along. View attachment 102347

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
+1 for the leather Eastwing. I got mine about a year ago at home depot, and I think it was a little less than $30. It's a great compromise in size/proportion/leverage/etc. It's served me well.

My 3 yrold saw me splitting up a fallen limb in the back one day and when I was done he asked if he could hold it. I told him he could, but had to be very careful, because it can cause owies if he bams things with it. I handed it to him and within 2 seconds he smashed it against the concrete retaining wall :mad: Put a nice sized knick in the edge.

But about 20 minutes against a stone and it was back in tip top shape.

But they make a great all around tool. It packs well, and doesn't weigh you down too badly if you have to tuck it in our belt out in the field.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doing some reading last night about a good camp axe and I came upon the Gransfors Bruks which I had never heard of before. Are these in the 14" models $150+ price range? I went to their website and saw all the different products they make and they are amazing tools but it might be quite a bit more than I am willing to spend since I am still looking for some reloading components (powders) and some other camping necessities for our trip.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
+1 on the Gransfors Bruks :congrats: Top Quality tools... Another good company is Wetterlings... I know these 2 companies are pricey, BUT they are top quality Doug and you know how nice equipment is compared to so-so equip.

I have always wanted to pick up the Gransfors small forest axe and mini hatchet. I have handled both and they are FINE, and scary sharp... :ahhhhh: :biggrin:

Good luck buddy
Ray

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Add another to the Gransfor axe fan list! We have the hatchet on a pack and the small axe in the truck--always.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Gransfors Bruk is unquestionably at the top and can be passed down for generations and every since the first time I laid eyes on one I have always wanted one I like camp ax size myself. With that being said there is other quality cutting tools out there that are not as costly. There is a article in the may issue of Outdoor Life on this subject Husqvarna carpenters ax is very nice for $62.00 Sog base camp $80.00 is all steel and very nice CRKT Woods Chogan $70.00 is very cool looking cross between ax and hawk. Still PA20 splitting Hatchet $56.00 and last but not least is the made in the usa Eastwing sportsman ax you are looking at and has proven itself for years.

Reactions: raindawg

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Doing some reading last night about a good camp axe and I came upon the Gransfors Bruks which I had never heard of before. Are these in the 14" models $150+ price range? I went to their website and saw all the different products they make and they are amazing tools but it might be quite a bit more than I am willing to spend since I am still looking for some reloading components (powders) and some other camping necessities for our trip.
Mine is a Gränsfors Hunter’s Axe with 18.5 handle I had another (disappeared) before this one it was a Gränsfors Wildlife Hatchet 14" or 15" handle with a square poll which I like better, the rounded poll on my current one makes it hard to drive tent stakes, I've been meaning to machine a flat spot on it but haven't got around to it. I bought them both through Jim Behring (Treeman Knives) and seems they were in the $100-125 range but that was a few years ago. Good luck in your hunt.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I bought a Plumb hatchet in when I was 13YO with paper route money. It still serves well hunting and at home splitting kindling. Same handle, and a great hand axe. I would like a wetterling or granfor's I can't justify the cost. My Estwing camper's axe has been a well used companion for a few years and I really like it alot. Only one complaint, it has a too fine of entry, narrow blade, not good for splitting. But cut..... very well. It's chief use id for cutting trees the small tree's that fall across roads during winter. Usually these are two to six inch alders, doesn't take long to cut them and pull off the road.

For the money, I don't think an Estwing can be beat. Were I younger, and have more time to use, I would certainly have a granfors or wetterling.

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
BJM

Much like guns, knives, rod and reels I have one or two hatchets/axes. Here's my rundown on a few of them. Also, when I want something that strikes me as stupid expensive, I usually ask my kids and wife to pitch in together for Christmas, birthday and/or Father's Day gifts :) Works every time!

Granfors Small Forest Axe - Absolutely the best axe I have ever owned...... hands down...... think mine was about 109.00 when it was bought for me. If you splurge a bit on one of these you will NOT be disappointed. Mine resides under the back seat of my truck always.

Wetterlings Camp axe - Very near to the quality of the Gransfors, maybe a bit less expensive. Excellent

Eastwing Leather handled - for the price it cannot be beat. Not hand forged and a bit harder to keep sharp but mine has been through the ringer for about 30 years and is still a viable tool.

Vaughn - Don't know if these are made any more but I have a solid handled one maybe from the seventies. Bit better quality IMHO than the Eastwing and about the same price point back then.

Let us know what you decide

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really appreciate all of the replies and feel I know at least a little more about camp axes than I did before. In these times, cost is an issue as I suppose it should always be. I have almost always "waited" until I could get exactly what I wanted but I have just weeks left so an Eastwing might win round 1.

After reading the Gransfors Bruk posts here, a real interest in getting one is there. I have gone on their website and their products are definitely impressive. I have a need (or want :hmmmm:) for a Gransfor 10" small hatchet for the hunting backpack. I have always preferred a 14" length hatchet so their Wildlife hatchet seems to be a good choice. And then I really like the recommended Small Forest Axe as it would be the ultimate in splitting and cutting for all future trips.

But for now, I will most likely settle for an Eastwing leather handled hatchet ... not too bad for a camp tool.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I just can't wrap my thought's around the plastic handled wonders from Gerber or Fiskars (the same(?). I won't even buy an axe or maul with the plastic handles. I know they're very durable, but they're just missing something to me. I've used them but............

My Plumb hatchet was the only hammer I had for a while after I got out of the Army. The handle has a cut groove across the wood at about the same distance from the top of the head; About the same distance for shake roofing spacing. First house I bought needed a new roof, it got put on with the Plumb.

Had some shakes left over, so I got some studs and built an 8x10 sauna in the backyard as well. Fired it with construction scrap in a small stove. While framing it, with the hatchet, I missed the head of a 16 penny nail and found my thumb. After questioning the lineage of those involved (Pat and Rick), it turned in to a "head between the knees'' moment, ROFL! I didn't see stars, but after my vision cleared I'd forgotten how many rings there were around Saturn LOL. I stopped framing for the day and marvelled at how many different color's my thumb had turned. Still think about that when I use my little Plumb ,LOL.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
I did this about two or three years ago and now find myself needing another camp axe/hatchet. The other one was borrowed and lost so this one will "not" be loaned out. I have had a few in the past and the one's around 14" long seem to work best for me. This is the one I am considering and it sells for about $35.00 locally ... Estwing Leather Sportsman's Axe .

What do you all use/recommend/prefer? My next trek into the mountains is in about three weeks with family staying in a yurt. The cost of the yurt includes firewood so on this trip, the primary use will be to split kindling for cooking on a wood stove.
I'm an axe nut bjm. Almost obsessed with them. That Estwing is fine - I've got one. It works well for us when camping. It's too heavy to really hump for miles and miles, but it is practically indestructible and it keep a good edge.

There are tons of old axes, made of great steel, out there just begging to be re-handled and put back to work. I find them, let them pile-up for awhile, then rehandle them as time permits. What I am ever going to do with so many axes, I dunno ... but I keep adding to the collection and I chop with all of them.

This old USA made bearclaw has become one of my favorites:

Second from the right, after I de-rusted it and gave it new life with a new hickory handle.

Here's an old Marbles with a new handle, and the old one underneath it.

Everyone should have at least one Pulaski axe:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.