Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone think a pump action carbine.rifle in .35 Rem. would sell if Marlin were to make one? Opinions, please.

MadDog

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ssshh, don't tell anyone. My true love is Marlin squarebolt levers, but my mistress.....Remington pumps. For the non-lever set, pumps are a great idea. And a 35 Rem carbine, now that's deer medicine. The question is whether the market is big enough. Remington supports its volume with a wider cartridge selection. 30/06, 270, 308, 243, and others come and go including the 35 Whelen, 280.... I recall there were once Browning pumps and Savage 30-30's for sure.

On the centerfire side, I think Marlin's pump history was limited to the 27/27S chambered in 32-20 and 25-20, so there isn't a design to adapt. Would an all new, design sell? If it was clever, maybe. But it would probably never be a great success and would just hurt Remington, jeopardizing the availability of pumps all together.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Actually,If you took a 336 action and twisted a few parts around you could have the "classic" look and a pump action rifle ,you could using the same method come up with a semi-auto tube fed action but a pump would be a real piece of cake.shootrj2003

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Make mine with an exposed hammer and clip magazine. But offer a tube mag version also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fear that the 35 Remington is a dying entity which is too bad because
I like it myself. It just doesn't have the sex appeal of a short magnum.
Its all about marketing hype and gimicks. Now if they would chamber
one for a 460 and 500 Smith & Wesson Magnum, it would probably sell.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Great Idea! It would sell, as anything new does when it's a sound design. Offered in 30-30, .35, and maybe even the Big Bores, it would be a nice addition to their line. As for pumps not looking traditional, how about the resurgence of pump style .22's and the popular Colt Lightning Carbine clones in .45 Long Colt. It's a good Idea and a solid concept. Would it hurt Remington?
Probably not, Remington is an obviously more modern stlyed design, and is chambered for the faster, pointy rounds. If Marlin kept "traditional" chamberings, I think they would start a new fad. Remember how they did when the Guide Gun first came out? Hell, throw in a .454 Casull, 480 Ruger and .500 S&W! Whatcha gotta say now?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Maddog
I doubt there is a market out there for it. As another poster said the 35 isnt exactly a hot item right now. You could probably make one without much trouble by converting an old savage 30/30 pump. Might be a fun and unique project.
PB

·
Registered
17 Posts
What I am about to say reminds me of a Roger Smith story (You'll remember him as the first target of Michael Moore's buffonery in "Roger and Me"). I'm an automotive guy and in the 80's when Smith was GM's chairman, he was reportly asked why GM wasn't offering $8000 mid-size sedans like the competition, he arrogantly replied, "If people want a mid-sized sedan for $8000, they should buy a two-year old Buick!"

If you want a great pump in 35 Remington, find a Model 14 or 141 Remington so chambered. If you've never handled one, give it a try. They are quite the piece of hardware. But then I've already told you they're my second love.

As for Marlin, I'll put $750 or even a grand in escrow to buy the first one they make, or at least the second since its Mad dog's idea. But my kid is sure to get that money as cash when they read my will, and I've got another 60 laps a round the sun coming. :wink:

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I think it's neat idea but as far a selling enough to make it feasible, I doubt it. As much as I love the 35 Remington, it's still a cultist's cartridge, just not that popular except with those who have one already. Other chamberings might be more popular, but given the number of good semi-autos on the market, it'd be kind of a step backwards. Pumps don't have the camming action of a bolt gun, and ammo sensitivity might also be an issue. Remember the IMI pump 357? I think they called it the Timberwolf. I loved the idea, but it was never a big seller, and I have yet to see one in person. Rumor has it they were also offered in 44 Mag, which I think would make a great pig gun, but again, I've never seen one. It's all about money, and if the profits aren't there, it's not likely to happen anytime soon. Too bad!

PJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
There was once a 44 magnum pump made called the Vulcan, I've seen
and handled one. It was made by Universal Firearms, who made a lot
of models of M1 carbine. It looked like it used a carbine bolt assy, modified of course. I don't remember what kind of magazine.

·
Registered
688 Posts
A quality gun might sell but the investment would be pretty big for a small return. Right now, it is much easier for us to get a Remington 14 and the price is indicative of the demand. IOW, there isn't that much of a demand.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would love to have a AR-15 or M1A chambered in 35 Remington. Man, a 20 or 30 round magazine full of 200gr hardcast would be a hoot to shoot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am intriqued by the 35 Rem AR idea even if its less than appropriate to continue the discussion on a Marlin pump thread. The question it raises is....35/6.8 SPC? 32/6.8? 30? 25? Oh the possibilities!

As for the pump idea, I'm having second thoughts. Not about a Marlin 35 Rem pump cause my kid is definitely getting the grand I'm gonna hold for that. But what about a rekindling of the 27S? Use that historical base for a 32 H&R, 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 44 Mag series. How about a 25/32H&R?

I have to sign off now. My brain is spinning way past the budget implosion point.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Savage chambered their pump in 35 Remington. Saw one on gun broker for $300+. Was made for 2yrs IIRC.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
How goes Remington's sales of pump rifles..........they wouldn't keep it around if nobody was buying, would they? Also, even tho not centerfire, Tarus seems to sell a batch of those pump .22 and .22mags.

·
Registered
520 Posts
tubbythetuba said:
How goes Remington's sales of pump rifles..........they wouldn't keep it around if nobody was buying, would they?.....

Hi Tubby, nearly 30+ years ago my first Deer rifle was a Remington 760/308. As the years went bye and I got hooked on Guns & Ammo; Shooting Times, etc...the heavily seasoned favorites were bolt action rifles.

Thinking my rem 'pump' was inferior, I sold it.

Last Fall, I re-did my thought processes about inferior pump actions rifles.
For two week I read whatever I could find, from where ever I could find information about the lowly pump rifle.

Then I called my gun-buddy Jim, who just happens to be a professional machinist and has made "his own" rifles.

"One of the most accurated rifles I have ever owned, even over my bolt actions was a remington 760 in 30-06. My son-n-law uses it now. When shooters poo-poo remingtons pumps, anything else that flows from their lips about guns is suspect in my opinion"

Last year in Nov/04 guess what I took Deer hunting?
You guessed it...BUT...I did not take a standard remington pump. I bought the police version 7600P [ I have two of these now and I ain't EVER gonna considering selling them]. AND, AND I found a 7600 in 35 Remington...DON'T ASK, ONLY BILL GATES HAS ENOUGH $$$ FOR THIS ONE.... :lol: :lol:

When I took it to sight in at 200 yards...at 200 yards groups are equal to and smaller than a 50-cent piece...nearly the same as high dollar bolt action; at 100 yard it shot as well as any bolt action I have ever fired!

In my last serious of rounds at the gun range I hit a 10" steel plate, 6 out of 6 shots at 400 yards....scoped and over a rest.

Just a secret between you & I... I'm taking my 7600P Deer hunting rather than my 700, stainless bolt actions...and where I go Deer hunting a kill range can be 10 yards or 1,000 yards...

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I would love to have a Marlin pump, but to keep costs down how about doing the series 218Bee, 25-20 and 32-20.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts