Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across a guy that wants to sell his Marin 39 TDS. He has the carry bag, but none of the paperwork, etc. that came with it. The gun is in overall pretty nice condition. The original bluing is still strong with virtually no marks. The forestock has a small rub mark that would probably steam out (finish isn't cracked and no wood loss). The white bullseye is missing (I've been told they are still available, anyone know from whom?). The gun is certainly not NIB, but it's a more than just a nice shooter too. He's asking $800 and seems pretty firm on that. I like carbine rifles and know that these don't come up that often, but wanted to see what more knowledgeable Marlin guys thought. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,981 Posts
The bullseye is available at Brownells or Ebay. Hard to say on the price. I think that is on the high side but if it is nice enough and is something you want then go for it.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
It's a little high, but the TDSes were short run guns and you'll probably not see another for a long time. Remlington certainly won't be making any. Probably worth the additional over what a "regular" JM 39A would run. Mounties cost extra, too.

As far as stock cosmetics, you can get bullseye extrusions from Brownell's or Numrich, they will not match your stock contours. The bullseye is put in before stock finishing commences and is sanded flush during finishing. It's been a target for bubba to put a rear sling swivel in for decades, they then fall out since the glue isn't meant to hold the whole gun up. Sometimes the glue gives up on its own and the bullseye falls out anyway. It's a fiddly job to do it after the stock is finished. Lots of tape needed to mask the area, then carefully cut to length, epoxy it in, file and sand to contour and polish. One oops and you get to refinish the stock. The finish on the gun is Marshield, I doubt if you could get enough moisture through an unstripped coating to raise a dent with steam.

Stan S.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.