Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Operation Beard Buster (My 870 SM soon to be turkey slayer)

4K views 13 replies 2 participants last post by  mebe007 
#1 ·
Hey guys I got an 870 express super mag. I'm trying to get it ready for spring. I have a box of federal premium #4 hd turkey copper plated. I believe its 2 1/4oz with 4 drama of powder. Anyways my bass pro has this choke on sale any experiences or suggestions to try on my gun

#2 ·
Re: tru glo gobble stopper choke for 870 super mag

Go to the Old Gobbler website and read up on those who have shot that size of copper shot and what size constriction they prefer with that big of shot. I think, that is the most important thing, getting the right constriction in any brand of choke to match the size of the pellet!!

And if that is one of the Federal that has the flight control wad, they reccomend to use a non ported choke with them, best thing is to read up on it!

And!!! ;D if you really want tight longer distance killing power, read about Hevi-shot. My buddys gun went from shooting copper at 130 pellets into a 10" circle at 40 yards to shooting 330 pellets into a 10" circle at 40 yards. Our shotguns are capable of much more if that is of interest to you.

.DT

#3 ·

I def want to get all I can out of her. I looked at buying another 870 the max gobbler edition for turkey but if I go enough this year ill think on it next year. So I figure ill stick with what I have this year and try and get more out of it.

The federal premium #4 I have is an older box I had under tba cabinet. Doesn't say anything about flight control

#4 ·

i think the idea of hevishot and results people are having are great but its so expensive. from what im reading for #4 shot somewhere around .670 is best and for #5 its .665 this is all for 3.5" shells. i was also looking at the kicks gobblin thunder but they say do not use hevishot in it, but the highfligher you can use it in. i basically want to get this gun as ready as i can. i was looking into an 870 max gobber gun in 3.5" but that will wait till next year.

i was also looking at the hi-viz tri viz sights. but i dont want to have to drill and tap the bead cuz its my understanding that they are pressed in.

#5 ·

If I were on a budget choke/ammo hunt, I would try a Primos Tightwad choke in .660 Around $25 and a box of hevi shot #7 shot, runs around $18/5 rounds. Read up on that set up, should double the pellets you'll get with any choke and copper shot. Theres really no comparison for copper to Hevi-shot. Do you need it to kill a turk, nope, just makes it more fun, same as getting your rifle to hit something smaller than a paper plate.

For another $20-$25 you could get the Primos JellyHead choke.

And the #7 in Hevi shot is a killer to 60-65 yards, don't let the size fool you, it has the weight of #5 lead and the slender size can be related to a carbon arrow compared to an aluminum if you are familiar to Archery.

Just my 2cents ;D .DT

#6 ·

yeah i have actually decided on the jelly head in .665. i have been going back and forth between it and the kicks gobblin thunder. decided on the jellyhead because it is heavy approved and ive read the constriction is perfect with the bore diameter of the 870 with 3.5" #6 hevis.

im going to pick up the jelly head from bass pro this weekend. its $34 in the local store by my house. the kicks is a whoppin $59.99

i already added the truglo pro series gobble dot sights this week. and my Remington shur shot stock is on order. so i hope this turns out well. ill pick up some hevi in a week or two and pattern it.

my best friend picked up a tightwad last night for his 835 ultimag. bass pro locally hass it on sale for $19.99 with a truth dvd for the mossberg and remington gun. also comes with 6 patterning targets.

so operation beard buster is underway. cant wait to see my results.

#7 ·

The .665 Jellyhead is what I'm using in my new Shur-Shot Super Mag. It came with the Tru-glos already on it. we'll basically be shooting the same setup except for the ammo, I'll be shooting a 4x5x7 2 7/16oz from Nitro.

Don't let 'em sell out of the Hevi-Shot before you get yours, It can happen!

#8 ·

Well I picked up my jelly head tonight after work in .665 $34.95 not too bad. But they were sold out of all but hevi #4's. Went to my local ffl and he has 3 boxes of Remington hevi shot #6 1300fps. Are these any good and how do they compare to hevi 13. Would I be better off trying to find the 5,6,7 duplex load?
I looked at intro and they are a bit high for my wallet. But anyways my guy said he'd hold me a box of the 6's for Friday when I pick up my 629 classic. The Remington hevi#6 he has listed for 39.99 for $10 but I usually get a little off the top
I will also be polishing my view with info I found over at old gobbler. Thanks for the recommendation. I joined but they have been very slow approving me so I still can't post. Blows bigtime

#9 ·

Before jelly head

Been debating removing the bead (but it'd be nice to keep if i remove sights)

With jelly head

Though about running this instead of gobble dots but thought it might limit my fov too much

Now I'm just waiting on my black shurshot stocks. Was gonna do camo but black looks better. Imo camo only looks good all camo. Maybe if I don't buy a shotty barred turkey gun next year ill have this one dipped

#10 ·

now of course after i bought some fiber optic sights i find the Mueller quick shot reflex sight. man this thing seems sweet. just need to find a saddle mount for it if i go that route. its just bugging me with these fiber sights. the green is super bright almost too bright and sometimes i can barely see the red. i wonder if bass pro will return them. i bought them 2 days ago.

#11 ·
ok so i got a good deal on that truglo dual color red dot for my 870 so i ordered it along with some 3.5 hevi #7 and some mag blends. gonna pick up some remington hevishot #6 from the local store this weekend. i also have the old federal premium #4 3.5" so i cant wait to pattern.

#12 ·
I patterned my gun this evening, only got 200 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 measured yards. My buddys gun which shot 330 last year only put 260 in, don't know what the problem was must been weather related, Temp was 70-71 degrees but the humidity was up 45%-50%, could been it. Damn shame when you got to check the weather before you can shoot ;D

Also set a target at 60 measured yards and out 75 into the 10" circle with more than 20 in the head and neck of Mr.Gobbler.

Had to adjust sights over to the right a hair but centered the paper up and down and side to side. just for interest I will try another round on a low humidity day :p

When are you patterning and what length is that barrel?

#13 ·
well i hope to pattern by next weekend. anything i should pay attention to weather wise? anyways my red dot should be here today so i will get that on first.

here is what she looks like now with the shurshot stock.

now im not a big synthetic fan, i actually felt like i was gonna burst into flames when i removed the wood stock. but for rolling around in the dirt i figured this was best. and i love the pistol grip. it really lets me stay compact and get a good hold. very steady. anyways i can always put the other stock back on if i want.

also dont quote me on this but i think the barrel is 26"

#14 ·
well i got my truglo dual color red dot on last night. thing feels sweet. nice and low to the barrel and i can actually still use the bead if the batteries ever die. i will get a full report on the sight after i shoot it and sight it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.