Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody going to carry anything special opening morning, to get their first deer
Or Elk of the season !
I've got a BLR, that's been sitting in my gun safe to long, it's getting the job this year to drop my Buck.
Then I'll grab one of my Marlins.

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
Marlin 336LTD SS 35 Remington will get the opening morning duty. I haven’t chosen my backup rifle yet. If I get the load development done for the Winchester 88 in 308W I am picking up later this week, it will see backup duty. My Marlin and CVA T4‘s are ready to roll also. So many choices, too short of a season.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Great post. I'll use the same rifle for opening day that I've used since I got it in 2020, a Ruger#1 in 06. It's a rifle that I picked from my late good hunting Buddy Al, after he passed in 19 and apparently told his wife to call me when.....

If the weather is bad, it will stay home. It's nice to sit in my stand and look down at this. My buddy Al killed the biggest buck we have taken on this property. I know that he looks down and smiles as I hold it.

Textile Sleeve Bag Collar Denim

Plant Air gun Tree Wood Machine gun

It's just something that I feel is a no brainer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'll be toting my S&W 629 Stealth Hunter topped with a Leupold Delta-point reflex sight. It's been pretty faithful for the past several years. After the first day I plan to switch to my new Ruger/Marlin 1895 Trapper 45-70. Can't wait...

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Well, I was going to make a thread about this very subject with pics, but still got two months to go before KY deer season. Here's my plan.

Marlin 62 in 256 Win with Speer 75 grain at 2400 fps
Marlin 36 in 30-30 with Speer 170 grain at 2200 fps
Savage 112 in 6.5x55 Swede with Sierra 140 grain at 2700 fps
Savage 10 in 338 Federal with Nosler 180 grain at 2600 fps
LMT AR in 5.56 with Speer 70 grain at 2700 fps
JC Higgins FN Mauser in 30-06 with Speer 150 grain at 2900 fps.

·
Registered
20,168 Posts
On the first of November I'm going to grab a .303 Enfield when I head out the door. But this year for the very first time I loaded 180 grain PPU softpoints into the hunting rounds. They have favorable reviews online. I've got them targeted, they shoot dead on to the battle sights and are accurate. So we shall see how the Serbian bullets perform on live game.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Its hard to go wrong with a 180 gr RN......been dropping deer for over 100yrs Best of luck to you rob42049 !

My first hunt is a trip to Wy for Pronghorn in late October.....I will be taking my Marlin 336A prairie rifle in 30-30win.
Got very good results with my 160 gr ftx, over leverEvolution powder.....out to 200 yds. My longest target board here at the homestead. Just hope the Antelope aren't hanging around at 300 yds !

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Machine gun

·
Super Moderator
14,164 Posts
CPA 44-1/2 with my 30/40 Krag barrel screwed on probably. First time in a long time it won't be a Marlin. I've got a custom Tennessee/Southern Mountain Rifle being built by John Bergmann that may get the nod if it gets finished in time... I doubt it though. It should be in my hands for muzzleloader season though.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If the weather is dry opening day then I will use my Savage 99 tang safety in 300. If the weather is wet I will take a 336 in 35 Remington that I had shortened, cerakote and plastic stocks put on. After I either get my buck or run out of patience I will take my Winchester 1886 (made in 1895) in 50-100-450 , for a doe.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts