Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned home from hospital from having open heart surgery for a valve repair . Also needed a pace maker put in. I realize it would be quite some time before thinking about shooting again :( What has me concerned the most is I shoot lefthanded and rifle stock would be very close to pacemaker. I will be going for 12 weeks of cardic rehab and will have a better idea if I can shoot again, but I was wondering if anyone on here had this type of surgery and were they able to shoot again ? Thanks

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Welcome to the zipper club! (Although mine was a super glue job, so I have a straight scare without the RR ties.) I had open heart surgery in Sepember of 2000, and was shooting again by May or June. I don't have a pacemaker though. Ask your cardiologist, point blank, about shooting and recoil. My guy is a staunch anti-gunner. But when I pressed him and asked straight up questions, he gave me honest answers with no political slant. Hope that yours is as understanding. Best wishes! :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
I had four vertebrae in my neck fused back in February. Rimfires and centerfire reloads using Trail Boss got me through the recovery period. I did have to skip turkey season this year, just weeks before the season opened the state outlawed the use of rifles for turkey hunting.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
I killed and field dressed a fat 6-pointer 19 days after my by-pass,but made no effort to drag him the 75 feet to the four wheeler,that's what friends are for.
I used a Marlin 1894 in 357Mag so recoil was almost nonexistent.

The day they took out the staples,they told me not to lift anything over 10 pounds for two weeks.When I ask the Dr. about shooting he suggested I stick to lower recoil stuff like a 30/06(honest) for a month or two.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Had 5 by-passes in June of 05. Shoot mostly 22's and some 308(Super Match) quite heavy so recoil is not much. Have a 44 mag 1894 Marlin which is a good deer rifle but I shoot 44 specials in it. I do not hunt just shoot. You will be OK-just takes some time. You will know what to do and what not to do. Your chest will let you know. Good luck. Oh yes-the 44 mag with full house rounds kicks like a 12 ga.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I'll be going to a clinic next week about pace makers so I should get more info there.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I haven't had heart surgery, thank God; but do have and use a Lead Sled. You can strap your gun into one of those baby's and shoot anything you want too off the bench.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts