Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was supposed to get 336ER but the deal fell through....so after a bit of haggling and lots of pictures and research i pulled the trigger on a deal for a slightly used 338MX that is pretty close to new having just a few shots been down the barrel and it looks very nice fit/finish-wise...its missing the front site hood so I'll need to scrounge an extra one up from somewhere...the most important part is its a very early 92xxxxxx gun from 2008 so I'm fairly confident its going to be a winner....I'm going to order some ammo in the AM and then will be keeping my eyes peeled for the UPS guy....I have to look for a nice piece of glass to put on it and am thinking possibly about the new Redfield 2x-7x...anybody got one yet?? looking for opinions on it :D :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I got the redfield 2x7x33 on my 444. I like it so far and its held up to a hundred or so shoulder breaker loads(felt like it to me anyway). Its nice and clear. They save a little money on the finish of it but that dont bother me at all.

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts
Calvin, other than the pistol grip stock and long barrel you got a sweetie there. ;D Good job. Sorry to hear the other one fell through but you made up for it sir...... Good looking wood on that blue hunk of metal.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Nice score Calvin! Sorry the 356 fell through :'(, but the 338 will take all the hurt away. ;) The redfields are a good value for the dollars. I have a 2-7 and 2 of the 3-9's, the Nikons and VX-II's are a bit brighter and slightly better color quality, but cost more. The Redfield will serve you well. DP

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ;D I figure the critter on the receiving end of this old girl wont feel the 20thou difference in boolit diameter

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I have a Redfield 3-9 x 40 on my 45/70, got two deer last season. As jnico said it's a pretty stout little optic, lots of pounding while sighting in and target shooting. Reasonably clear and does not black out like I feared it might.

Ss

·
Registered
206 Posts
CalvinMD said:
..its missing the front site hood so I'll need to scrounge an extra one up from somewhere...
Give customer service a call and tell them you purchased one and its missing the front sight hood. I did this and they sent one out to me free of charge. It's worth a try you might get one for the same price i did, FREE! ;D

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
There is no cure for the Marlinitis affliction ;D
That looks like a decent rifle, maybe even a little figure in the wood of the butt stock. Good grab Calvin.

I lost my front sight hood on my 308MX somewhere between here and Utah. I had loaned the gun out to a very good friend and our friendship is worth way more than that hood. I have not replaced it as a reminder to such...

We need to know how it shoots!

-chris

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Congratulations she looks nice. Mine is also a 2008 and with any luck, I'll be shooting it for the first time this coming w/e.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks very nice Guardo...might have git me one

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Just put a 2-7x33 Redfield on a Ruger 44 Magnum Carbine. I really like it....clear,bright,rugged...all I need for a huntin scope. Next time I get to Cabela's I will pick up another. Good luck and be safe

·
Banned
497 Posts
I've got the Redfield 2-7 on my XL 30-06 and have been pleased. I planning on switching it out to my Western Field 740 to replace the old Bushnell 3-9 on it now. The XL will get an upgrade. I do like the way it looks on a 336

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I put a new Redfield on my 16.5 inch 30-30 that I'm going to give to my daughter. It is a nice scope for the money. If you can afford it, you might consider the Leupold VX-3 CDS. The CDS is a custom ballistic drop specific for your rifle. You can chrono your loads call Leupold and they make a custom ballistic dial for you. I put one on last year and it is dead on for the ballistic drops. It was worth saving a few extra bucks for.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For those of you who have the new Redfield....it advertises a Fast Target Acquisition feature..meaning it has a broad area that if you throw the gun up it has a good field of wide without having to adjust around to find the perfect spot to get things your target in the crosshairs....have you noticed it to be very forgiving in this aspect??...also I am a staturely challenged individual(stubby) and need all the eye relief I can get because of thick shoulders and a short neck....What is the eye relief distance you have really gotten??...I usually have to mount my scopes with all the rearward bias I can get..and even though the 338 doesnt kick all that bad, I'm not really up for giving myself another eyebrow ::)

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
CalvinMD said:
For those of you who have the new Redfield....it advertises a Fast Target Acquisition feature..meaning it has a broad area that if you throw the gun up it has a good field of wide without having to adjust around to find the perfect spot to get things your target in the crosshairs....have you noticed it to be very forgiving in this aspect??...also I am a staturely challenged individual(stubby) and need all the eye relief I can get because of thick shoulders and a short neck....What is the eye relief distance you have really gotten??...I usually have to mount my scopes with all the rearward bias I can get..and even though the 338 doesnt kick all that bad, I'm not really up for giving myself another eyebrow ::)
It is no faster than any other scope I own for target acquistion. As far as eye relief you are probably looking at around 3.5 inches or so.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm seriously looking at the Burris Fullfield II 2x-7x- 35mm ...I'm very satisfied with Burris from having them on other guns..very tuff and hold settings well even when mounted on some real kickers...just wondering how low I can mount it with the 35mm objective...anybody got one that can put up a pic of their gun with it mounted??

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
You should be fine with a 35-40mm objective.

·
Premium Member
12,386 Posts
Calvin - that's a fine looking rifle!

Looking forward to your range-reports, and hopefully to a good photo of it in front of a big ol' buck this fall!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts