Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a nice casting session until I checked hardness... 6???
10 days after heat treating, checked again....13? I normally get mid 20s.
I must have progressively diluted the pot with unmarked ingots of pure lead as I went along.
ARRRRGH!!!
Time to fire up the big kettle and make up alloy for the next couple of years....
and of course clearly mark 'em too.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Brain fart. OUCH

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Been there, done that. Took me a lot longer to figure-out what I did than it did you apparently. But I used to drop pills for a day or two and not get around to checking hardness until I was ready to reload, which might be months after I dropped a batch. By then I had killed so many brain cells I could not remember what I goofed on a specific batch ... until what happened to you happened to me.

Since then I'm on it like white on rice. Good for you, staying current with that batch. Your system is better than mine was.

Where did the unmarked ingots come from? Some of yours?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brain Fart... yep, and all my own, no help needed.
I recently smelted a few hundred pounds of roofing lead...
1.) failed to mark ingots with a blue dot indicating pure lead.
2.) failed to observe the lack of crystaline structure on the smooth bottom of the ingot when I was casting..
3.) failed to observe the lack of crystaline structure on the smooth bore riding portion of the bullet when I was casting..
TRIPLE BRAIN FART....DING DING DING....
TILT...NO POINTS...GAME OVER

·
Registered
797 Posts
I used to cast for 45-70 and 45acp. Didn't check for hardness... just smelted wheel weights and water droped them from the mold.
They shot great and never leaded the bore.

Do you have a close up picture of those 30-30 bullets, pls1911

1 - 5 of 5 Posts