Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got a little time off from work this afternoon and went to a gun shop to see what they had......Well there sat a 1894CB in 32 H&R mag. I'm a ver sick man, I tried to resist, honest I did. But all it took was to touch that tiger stripe walnut forend, and that Marlin blue receiver, and feel the smooth action. Out the door it went with 3 boxes of factory ammo. I wasnt home 10 minutes and out the door we went to test it out. well folkes it is a shooter. 4 shots to get it on target and then fired a group for Ranch Dogs postal match. 5 Shot group at 50 yards using Federal 85 gr JHP ammo. If it shoots this good with factory, I cant wait to get a load worked up.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Big medicine-

You mention the "tiger stripe walnut" on your 1894 32. The one I got recently also had some of the best looking wood on a Marlin that I've seen in quite a while. I posted elsewhere but the wood is excellent and finish is flawless.

Way to go Marlin!

Thank you!

G

·
I really did not plan on getting one of these rifles. I thought they were a little over priced for a plinker. But the feel of that rifle is just one of those things ya cant pass up. I have been trying to get a good picture of the wood, but so far it doesnt do the rifle justice. I was very impressed with the way this rifle shot. I called Midway yesterday and ordered brass, bullets, and dies. This rifle will get shot a lot :D

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oops, didnt realize I was logged out :oops:

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
What kind of bullets/powder combo's are you starting out with? Doesn't look like there are that many jacketed possibilities.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to try the Hornady 85gr XTP figure to try some titegroup, 700X, and unique. I spoke with Bob at Hornady and he said that if it looked like it was burning to fast to try blue dot. So out of those I hope something will shoot as good as the factory load shot.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Are you interested in lead at all? Those results don't look to promising, although if he firelapped, I am sure it would be better. My groups usually half with lead once I've done it.

That gun was made for lead!

Have you been using lead bullets for those fantastic groups for the shooting match?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might try some lead. The group I shot was with Federal Factory ammo with a 85 gr JHP (I'm pretty sure it is a Hornady XTP) So I'm thinking I should be able to tighten up the group with handloads. I may even try the Hornady 100 gr XTP but if I get good results with the 85 grainer I will most likely stick with it.

G

·
I would say they would probably shoot longs but the may not cycle in the action reliably. Another possible problem would be with the lead bullets in the longs, there may be a build-up of lead in the chamber from the bullet jump which might cause a jam or failure to feed/chamber after a while. I'm not inclined to try it, the 32 H&R can be loaded very mild to duplicate the ballistics of the long, or the short if one so desires.

Mine is really nice. I've heard good reports from other forum members who have gotten theirs on this and other boards. If youv'e got one coming, its worth the wait.

Good shooting.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Forgot to log in.....

I would say they would probably shoot longs but the may not cycle in the action reliably. Another possible problem would be with the lead bullets in the longs, there may be a build-up of lead in the chamber from the bullet jump which might cause a jam or failure to feed/chamber after a while. I'm not inclined to try it, the 32 H&R can be loaded very mild to duplicate the ballistics of the long, or the short if one so desires.

Mine is really nice. I've heard good reports from other forum members who have gotten theirs on this and other boards. If youv'e got one coming, its worth the wait.

Good shooting

·
Registered
223 Posts
Congrats!

I've had that happen to me before... Go to browse and end up spending money! That's why I avoid the shops and gun shows the best I can cuz I'm very weak when it comes to anything shooting or guns!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts