1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
21,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
I can't find it right now, but Remington/UMC published a similar letter last year. I for one think they underestimate the hoarder and gouger effects, but it makes sense to me overall. I had to have a conversation with our local Walmart's manager the other day when I found that one of their employees was storing all of the .22LR under the counter until the "right" customers came in and asked for it. What tipped me off was that I overheard the employee tell another customer that they hadn't received any .22 in over six months. I had already spoken to the department manager several days prior and she showed me where they were receiving .22 every 3-4 weeks, but sold out within the 1st day.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think it is micro-hoarding, not necessarily people who are gouging at gunshows or squirreling it away for Armageddon. I think it is regular shooters that can't walk past ammo on the shelf without buying the maximum number of boxes. I have enough 22LR for a year and I still have a problem walking away from ammo on the store shelf.

·
Registered
754 Posts
This has been my thinking for awhile now....instead of people picking up a couple of 50 round boxes as needed, they buy as much as they can. Also, I tend to see the bulk packs for sale rather than 50/ 100 count boxes where I have seen ammo. .22 WRM availability is even worse. I have seen that just twice in stock (limit 2 boxes of 50) in the past year.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'm sure demand is part of the problem but that doesn't explain why my local gun shop isn't getting any 22 or 22mag. Has something disrupted the normal chain of distribution? I could understand if the lgs was getting and selling it immediately but when he doesn't even get it, where is it going?:hmmmm:

·
Premium Member
6,591 Posts
Factor in ammo is also based on contracts for sales and If the distributor they use does not have that big of contract then they get less ammo to sell to their retailers.
Plus all of these factors and we will need to be patient as it will get better if we quit paying inflated prices and quit buying all we can because it is there.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
This must somewhat be a regional thing. I just bought 1650 rounds, (3 550 Federal Boxes) at Walmart last Thursday and expect there will more there this Thursday or Friday..

I really feel bad for those that cannot get any. But look hard enough and you can likely find some. You need to be quick though as the normal priced stuff goes like lightning.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Many factors involved, hoarding and scalping being significant causes.
Another thing, while semiauto 22s have been around for a long time, the high capacity quasi-military style have grown in popularity. Those with money to burn are shooting it by the bucket. Meanwhile, fewer beginning shooters are starting off with single shots and learning to make every shot count. The result, more 22 lr is being shot now than ever before in history.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
We are kinda guilty of the high Capacity magazines, but not the "money to burn" part.

We have a AR22 that we have a couple 50 round Black Dog Drums for. Its a ammo eater in a kids hands:biggrin:

Me included:)

Yes the stuff from CMMG and Taccom have really exploded onto the market as far as dedicated .22 uppers, such as ours..They are a very fun Platform.

This one is a CMMG upper receiver and Stainless Bolt. JP Rifle Length Freefloat Handguard. Taccom 18 inch ULW Barrel. Aero Precision AR15 Lower. Magpul Stock..Weighs right at 5 pounds and is metal, unlike a SW MP-22 which is plastic. It is a standard AR15 upper and Lower receiver as a matter of fact..SW MP-22 are aproprietary design and made of Plastic..

This is a "real" AR15 that just has a .22 rimfire barrel and Bolt..

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
I had all of what I needed before 2008, but I'll still buy to keep my revolving inventory to a comfy level.

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
If my numbers are right, and they might not be since my calculator can't handle all the zeros, the amount of capacity in the industry is being overwhelmed by the number of users. Some of that is because there are new users. Those new users tend to up the consumption exponentially. Ever buy something and then just put it on the shelf? No.

If 25 million rounds are made per day, that is only 0.7 rounds for each of 35,000,000 shooters. In 5 days a week and 52 weeks a year that is only 187 rounds per year for each of 35,000,000 users. Ever try to go out for a little 22 shooting and only use 187 rounds and do it only once a year?

It might seem prudent to ramp up production on 22lr ammo in my estimation. I think we have added new shooters and awakened existing shooters to the point we may never go back to owning 22lr firearms and shooting them only occasionally. Even if the popularity wanes it may take years to do so.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Sounds like a plausible explanation. Add it to the list of theories. But numbers are numbers and don't lie as long as the numbers are based in fact.

Out of the 20 or so Wally Worlds I check daily - 3 today had .22 in stock. Midland TX - Clovis NM - Wichita Falls TX … It is funny … these 3 seem to have it in stock on a regular basis with the Wally's in Lubbock - Amarillo and towns geographically close in proximity to these two larger towns (in our area) being stocked much less.

Hopefully I will get at least 6 - 9 bricks out of these locations today. These will be for my personal ammo dump or for family members and friends. I am on the hunt for at least 6 families of shooters.

From all I read and can ascertain the shortage is not going to end any time soon. ( 2 - 3 years at the earliest it appears ) So "Find & Procure" is my motto. This applies to any caliber of ammo that is needed for my guns. Even applies to pellets now that I am in that world.

I have noticed an abundance of nearly all other calibers at Academy lately and with pricing that is not out of line with what I see on the internet by the time you pay shipping but not much .22. The .22 I have seen has all been 50 count boxes.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was talking to a very big gun store in my area and the guy who is in charge of the reloading
section told me that the camps where the kids go and shoot during the summer were shooting
something like 90,000 rounds of 22LR a month at minimum.
They would order 5-7 pallets at a time!

They ordered directly from the manufacturer. They have all had to close down because
they cannot get any ammo themselves.

The shortage is everywhere and its because everyone is still panic buying it.
I even see people buying 22LT shotshells for $13.95 a box at the local Bass Pro.

The panic buying extends to powder and primers as well.
The reloading class was packed solid. No powder for sale or very little.
It's a bad time to get into reloading unless you have access to powder.

The guy was asked when he thought this was all gonna and and he said
"When we have a new president" by that he did not mean Hillary.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I read last year, I think it was Federal, was going to build a large add on Facility to manufacture just .22

Some claimed it would be a big mistake and they would never sell all the extra .22 they are planning to produce. I think if they make it, they will sell it..

Edit: l am sorry it was Remington. Too bad it is not Federal though:biggrin:

"Remington isn’t one of those companies. They’ve pledged a whopping $32 million to expand their Lonoke, Ark. plant with the construction of an entirely new manufacturing facility. The expansion is expected to be up and running at full capacity by the summer of 2014, with ground broken for the new building by the second quarter of this year."

"Remington isn’t the only company adding new facilities. Last week Armscor announced their $4 million expansion of their ammunition manufacturing facility in Pahrump, Nev."

Not last week but, last year. It is old news..

I hate Remington .22 ammo, but maybe there will be a flood of it come midsummer though.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If the manufacturers are planning to invest a lot of money into new production facilities then they must see this as a long term trend and not just a temporary thing. However, this problem didn't exist before Sandy Hook, did it? It would seem to me that it's a result of panic and fear of the current administration. Will it go away as quickly as it began? It appears that most of us don't think so, including the manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
What really makes me wonder what causes the "shortage" is that a little farm/ranch supply house in a town of 3500 people in the edge of the Hill Country of Texas has well in excess of 200,000 rounds of 22LR in 500 round bulk packages from about every brand known to man! Of course they're asking 69.95 for a 525 box of Federal Bulk and the same price for every other brand in similar packaging! That's enough to keep a lot of people in Texas in 22 ammo. I wonder if some "middle man" is not just selling what he is allocated to sell to retailers to the highest bidder. Just my 2 cents and I'm probably all wet:hmmmm: John

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I do not think you are all wet at all. I have believed for some time now that once people saw the potential for the profit in artificially interrupting the supply of .22 ammo to the retail level. Alot of greed kicked in. I can guarantee you it is being backdoor traded at the warehouse level. It is the American way now. GREED

There is and never has been a "shortage" of 22 ammo. There has always been all you can possibly buy and shoot on Gunbroker. Atleast 20 to 40 pages a day of it. Throughout this whole thing. That is not a shortage. Plenty for sale. Just not where you prefer it to be or at a price you like..Gunbroker is only one venue. Millions upon Millions more rounds available for sale throughout this mess in others places too.

Imagine the ammo flippers profits. They made 4 or 5 times the profit the makers of the ammo did. Alot of lowlifes got rich off of the opportunity to take those willing, for a ride..

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.