Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son bought a new Ruger Mark3 about a month ago & I got to shoot it 2 weeks ago. Well that reminded me how much I enjoyed my old Ruger years ago. So I've been shopping ever since for a fair deal on a used one. I found it yesterday. A Ruger Mark2 Standard w/ 6" barrel. Got it home & cleaned it up. Went to our local indoor range this afternoon to see how good a deal I got. Shot very accurate & no malfunctions. Also shot my S & W Mod 442 & Mod 65. I shoot 38 Spcl SWC that I cast & reload myself.
Well anyway, I got ready to leave & was walking thru the shop & office & noticed 2 Marlins hanging on the wall. I couldn't quite read the tag on the short one so I asked the proprietor if that 1 was a 1894C.
Well it was. I've been looking for one of these for over a year & never even held one till today. I had given up & right out of the blue there it was. It's not new, but I don't believe it has ever been shot. No dings or scratches or rust & clean as a whistle. I bought it right there on the spot. I had about 60 rounds of 38 Special ammo left & told the shop owner I was headed back into the range, and see if it will fire these 38's. He said have at it. Told him they may not feed. Well anyway, I loaded up 2 or 3 rounds, and lo and behold, they fed beautifully, almost like butter. Then loaded up 10 rounds in the magazine. Fed smooth, no malfunctions. Shot all 60 rounds. Shoots a mite low & to the left, but grouped up Ok. I need to get it to the outdoor range & get it sighted in.
The stock is Quarter Sawn Walnut with some figure, just beautiful. I am one happy camper & my birthday is tomorrow. I guess I better stay out of any gunshops for a while.
The ser # is 99028XXX. Any idea how old or new this rifle is. It does have the crossbolt safety.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Re: One Happy Camper New to me 189C

Happy Birthday !! :) Nice present

It is a 2001.. subtract the first two digits from 100 to find the year

Well that works for pre Remington Marlins.. I dont know what the secret code is for the new Marlins

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
You scored very well!! I would LOVE to have a nice pre Remington .357 1894 like yours to go with my 45LC
Welcome to the group. :)

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
If you don't now, then you need to take up reloading. A 357 rifle is some of the most fun you can have and they have a very healthy appetite for ammo.

Congrats and welcome to the club of 357 rifle owners!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do reload & cast bullets as well. That's one reason I'm still grinning from ear to ear. When I bought the rifle, all I had with me was some of my homemade 38 special semi wad cutters. From all I've been reading here, I was going to be real surprised if they fed Ok. They worked great. No jams. Looking forward to getting some 357 cases to reload. Also might need to consider a different mold for my cast bullets. Any recommendations?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts