Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the older savage 110s are decent? I figured I would shoot it until it need to be barreled and then build what I want. It has to be pretty old the barrel has what looks like a second ring or band halfway down the barrel. It is left handed that is why I am interested. It looks like it is in good shape. I don't want to get it if it is not worth building something from it. It is in 30 06

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
If it is a Walnut Stocked Version of the Old 110, It's a Dang Good Rifle to Have.
My Dad Has one of the Old Deluxe Models in .30-06 & it's a He!! of a Nice Rifle.
It Shoots 150gr Federals just under 1in at 100yds. Doesn't Like the Heavier Bullets though.
The Savage 110 Has a Very Strong & Reliable Action with a Good Tunable Trigger.
The Older Models were Better Made than the New ones IMHO.
I Say She's a Keeper. Clean her up & Shoot the He!! outa Her.
You will Probably Find that She is Quite Accurate, Once you Find the Ammo She Likes.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
I bought my lefty 110 in .270 in 1980 used. It was slightly customized with nice wood and a light hunting barrel. This old rifle will shoot around 1" with several loads, even with a very light barrel. It will be one that will get passed down from me, not traded or sold. Best money I have ever spent on a rifle.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have been shooting my 110 savage in 300 Win mag since 1973 and it will belong to my grandson, has a good tunable trigger and is super reliable and accurate.:tee:

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
968 Posts
One of the best rifles ever made, check out Savageshooters.com, lots of great 110 info.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
One of the best rifles ever made, check out Savageshooters.com, lots of great 110 info.
+1! I build all my bench rest rifles on Savage actions using Krieger/Criterion barrels.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
41 Posts
When my Dad passed away, I got his Savage 110 in 30-06, he bought in 1961.I stripped and cleaned the action, took the copper fouling out of the BBL, Refinished the stock, and put a Nikon 3x9 scope on her.She is like brand new. At 100yds you can cover the Three holes with a quarter. I liked it so much I sold my Newer Remi 700 30-06.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I own two Savage M110's!!!! A 308 win and 300 mag!!! When I'm not hunting with one of my leverguns I'm hunting with my Savage 308!!!

Reactions: GaCop

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
The Howa 1500 is Another Tried & True Rifle.
Action is Based on the Venerable Mauser 98.
In the Past Howa made Rifles for Weatherby.
That Alone should Indicate the Strength & Quality of their Rifles.
The .270 in this Rifle will make 4 a Nice Long Range Rifle.
Nice Choice. Wish I Had One!
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my new howa just arrived today. This rifle seems well built and do far I like the hogue stock but I am waiting to try it out to see how great it really is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You will love it. I had a 300 wthby built by Howa. Rifle was a tack driver, solid lockup. After my first elk, I got rid of it. Not for the rifle, but for the cal. I like the 30-06 better.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
When I was dispersing Cousin's estate, he had a birch stocked .308 that had been his truck gun. Cousin always bragged on how well it grouped. My S-I-L bought it for appraised value for the same purpose. He and Cousin agree on the accuracy. There is no telling how good it would be with a nicer scope on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.