Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a new guy here. Howdy to all.
I have an older rifle and am looking for some information.
It only has a single letter after the model designation "O" or maybe a "zero"? "Model 81-DL O"
No grooves for scope, but two tapped/screw filled holes on left side of receiver. (for Weaver mount?)
Plain ramp rear site and plain front site with grooves where a hood might have been at one time.
Looks like walnut stock. Stock "has lived a life" but looks pretty good for an older well used rifle.
Bore is clean & bright. Safety moves forward for safe, aft to fire.
I'm wondering when it was made and what sites came on it, as well as what scope mount would work best.
I'll try to post a picture later.

Thanks

· Registered
214 Posts
I have an 80 that I'm working on and I can't find a pic identifying an 80 old style and 80 new style. I think the trigger guards are different. Interested in seeing a picture of your 81-DL. Safety of mine is missing and old and new style are different. Got frustrated, took a chance, and ordered parts anyway :confused:;):giggle: the 80 has a mag rather than tube.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Took it to the range and have a fail to feed issue.
It looks like it (bolt face) might be a "controlled feed" type system, but won't hold/feed cartridges from the magazine tube. Just pops the cartridges up loose and not aligned with chamber.
I fed one round manually and fired it, but it failed to extract the shell (you can see that in the chamber).
Some pictures, safety, feed/shell lift, scope mount holes, maybe rear peep sight holes?

Attachments

· Super Moderator
42,146 Posts
Not to say this is the same rifle, but here is a picture.
Musical instrument String instrument Wood String instrument Musical instrument accessory

Marlin model 80- 1934-1939
Marlin model 80E – 1934-1940
Marlin model 80DL- 1940-1965
Marlin model 80C- 1940-1970
Marlin model 80G- 1960-1965

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Evidently that part gets broken a lot. (mine is). I read somewhere the barrel has to be removed from the receiver to replace it.
That guide spring might help the final feeding to chamber, but isn't the main problem.
The lifter/guide isn't picking up a cartridge from the tube magazine.

· Registered
1,888 Posts
Welcome to the forum 👍 You'll enjoy it here like SF.

· Registered
122 Posts
Evidently that part gets broken a lot. (mine is). I read somewhere the barrel has to be removed from the receiver to replace it.
That guide spring might help the final feeding to chamber, but isn't the main problem.
The lifter/guide isn't picking up a cartridge from the tube magazine.
I think I read that this wire is only needed for ejecting 22 Shorts. No sure, but try cycling the bolt with a spend 22LR casing rand you might find you OK without it for ejecting 22LR rounds.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Took it out of the wood, no serial number or sign of manufacture date. Found on closer inspection the magazine tube mount in very loose in the dovetail mount to the barrel. Had some residue that looked like it had been glued into the dovetail a long time ago? Also the tube appears to have a small bend/bow along the length.
Where the feed/lift assembly mounts to the receiver there was some corrosion where it is attached with the screw, cleaned that up some.
Cleaned the bolt and firing pin coil springs which were dirty/gummed up.
I'm not sure if the extractor is correctly situated. The opposite side from the extractor claw looks like it might be interfering with feeding into the chamber. Not sure why the off side metal is even there (opposite the claw).

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts