Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Periodically on this site as well as other for a, a poster will mention certain load that is contained in an older reloading manual or post this older data.

At one time, one could purchase the older Lyman and other manuals very inexpensively, but it now appears that the gun show/local gun shop as a source for these older publications has dried up, the Smart Money is holding on to them, or they have for some other reason become virtually unobtainium.

But take heart! There is a source -- Cornell Publications LLC World's Largest Old Gun Catalog & Manual Reprinter

Cornell also has E-mail newsletter, which is quite handy.

For a while now, I have been purchasing reprints of the Sharps and Remington manuals as they contain loading information about fabricating the black powder rounds, bullets alloy, lube, etc. Many of the older Lyman manuals also have this information as well data on Duplex loadings, and no longer catalogued moulds

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Wow! They have a lot of reprints under the Reloading topic.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Well, how did this site get by me all this time. Thank You.

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
Just an FYI.............some smokeless powders have been re-formulated over the years, and the pressure limits for certain calibers have changed as well. One would be well-advised to check the older data against the newer publications and sources, so as not to run the risk of overpressure. Some powders and pressure limits have been "lawyered down", others have not. Cross-referencing data is ALWAYS a good idea.

Handloading with older data is always a risky business. You might not blow up a nice gun, but you could do some damage, and nobody needs that.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
And here I've been buying stuff at yard sales.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts