Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Century a couple weeks ago and just got around to taking it out.
Action cycles smoothly when unloaded but once loaded the lever will lock open at full cycle and I have to futz with it to get it to release and chamber the next round.
I studied the action when this happens but I can't really see where the problem lies.
Is this just a dislike of a certain ammo(fed bulk was all I had) or is this a symptom of something else?
Any help would be appreciated.
PS my other 39's feed fed bulk just fine.

·
Premium Member
14,185 Posts
You could check the cartridge cutoff. It might be letting in more the one at a time. Try just loading just one in the mag and then cycle it. If that works ad another an so on.
As the spring pressure increases it will start to jam it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
^ I'll go with the cutoff as well. It may be loose or bent down a little to much-easy fix.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Might try checking that the magazine tube is pushed all the way into the action. If not cartriges will hang in the gap between the tube and reciever. just a thought!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I re check the indicated parts.
The gun was filthy so I completly stripped it down and cleaned it before I took it to the range. I was certain that it went back together properly but I guess I could have got it wrong.
Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Mine (1947) is doing exactly same. No feeding cartridge in sight, eject completed properly, as if the bolt is hanging when full open. Read my thread description: (Re: Bolt/lever hanging - about 1-in-10 rounds) see if sounds familiar. Stubbfarmer has some different input.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks SGT, I'll check it out.

I've tried all the above suggestions and it still refuses to cooperate.

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
If your lever is loose it will hang up, and jam during cycling. So if you have side to side movement in the lever tighten it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts