Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
I was first bitten by the bowhunting bug in 1981. Started with a compound, but soon fell in love with traditional archery. In 2006, I suffered a complete tear of the rt. rotator cuff (could not be re-attatched), on a fire call. I thought my archery days were over, but after sitting out a few seasons, I just HAD to try to get back into the game. I hunted one season with a crossbow, but just couldn't warm up to it. Now I'm shooting a 45 lb. compound, and loving it. I just limit my practice sessions to no more than 10 shots. No pain afterward at all.

Reactions: M700 and miket156

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
For anyone interested in bows, a Longbow or Mary Rose type (Ie recovered from the shipwreck). 170 lbs, technique and experience makes it look easier than it is...

·
Premium Member
11,907 Posts
What a cool video, and what a great bow! That archer looks young and strong! He oughta be, that bow draws a full 100# more than any bow I've ever shot!

I like the recommendations of considering a bow with a lighter draw weight. Even a 45# bow with sharp broadheads is deadly on deer... No need to pull some 60 or 70 pound bow. Not for deer. My two bows are a 53# Hoyt recurve, and a PSE compound set at 60#. The PSE is fairly new to me.

I'm 62, and have the various surgeries many of us have had at this point. Rt elbow, rt shoulder, three vertebrae fused in my neck... Just the usual wear & tear of living an active life. I do try to stay active. This morning I rode my bicycle 50 miles with over 2,000' of vertical gain, with a 30 year old gal. We rocked along pretty good, I hit 41 mph on one downhill stretch, and was down to 6 mph on one steep uphill part. I do belong to a gym, but I tend to use it more in cold weather. After shoulder surgery in my early 50's, the 315 pound benchpress became a part of history. I miss being that strong, but, it's never coming back.

For my lifting, I concentrate on shoulder & back strength - exactly what's needed for pulling that bow... When I'm not in the gym often, I rely on some simple exercises I can do at home. Every morning: 50 pushups, 50 crunches, 50 leg-lifts, 50 curls and 50 one-arm rows (30# dumbbells). It's not a lot, but in 30 min, I get a pretty doggone good strength workout in the family room. It helps. As does the hiking and bicycling. We can't stop the aging, unless we die, but we can sure stay healthy, come back from injuries, and enjoy an active life if we put some effort into it! I'll be trying for mule deer & elk with my bow this coming season.

Bike ride last year:

Gym session last year:

Practicing with the PSE a few weeks ago:

Mountain bike ride a few weeks ago:

Best of luck to all the bowhunters here. Guys, even those of us in our 60's and beyond, can gain strength, flexibility, endurance. Just gotta do it.

Guy

21 - 23 of 23 Posts